none
What .net files must be kept after updating? RRS feed

• Question

• Amateur with a small hard drive problem. The .net Framework updates are killing me.  Is it necessary to keep 2.0 and 3.0 service pack 2's installed after you have installed 3.5 or Framework 4?  I really need the space.  Same thing with Java, after update 22, is it necessary to keep previous updates installed; or can all of these large updated programs be uninstalled?  thanks loads.

Groggo

Friday, December 3, 2010 3:55 PM

Answers

• 2.0/3.0/3.5 are all *one* framework. 2.0 is the base, and 3.0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0. Chances are very good that if you try to remove any part of those, that some of your programs will stop working.

Did you download and install 4.0 yourself (by that I mean, it was not required by some software you installed)?

If the answer is yes, then you can remove 4.0 without bad effects. In general, unless you are a developer who needs to target certain frmaework versions, you have no need to install any .NET Framework unless software you install demands it.

As far as Java is concerned, you should ask in an appropriate Java forum.Here's one possibility:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=922

• Edited by pvdg42 Friday, December 3, 2010 9:37 PM add info
    • Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Friday, December 10, 2010 2:16 AM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 9:34 PM