none
Have different parts in one project/solution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    In one Biztalk 2009 project/solution, can we have 2 distinct parts, which are doing 2 different jobs? For instance, part 1 is retrieving one input file and further insert one record into the DB. Part 2 will scan one table in the DB and once it sees some records with the status 'CheckedOK', it will generate some transaction records in one other table. Can we do both 2 parts in one project/solution?

If the answer is yes for this, can we have sample/tutorial for it?

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

• Edited by Jackson_1990 Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:04 AM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 9:02 AM

Answers

• Assuming I understand your question, yes you can have two BizTalk projects in a single solution.  You can also have two separate tasks handled from a single BizTalk project or a single task which spans several BizTalk projects.

If you are asking how to create a new or add an existing project to an existing BizTalk solution do the following:

1. Open your existing solution.
    2. Use the File -> Add menu.

If there are project dependencies, between the BizTalk projects, they can be added to the references for the project (no circular dependencies).

David Downing... If this answers your question, please Mark as the Answer. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:39 PM

All replies

• Assuming I understand your question, yes you can have two BizTalk projects in a single solution.  You can also have two separate tasks handled from a single BizTalk project or a single task which spans several BizTalk projects.

If you are asking how to create a new or add an existing project to an existing BizTalk solution do the following:

1. Open your existing solution.
    2. Use the File -> Add menu.

If there are project dependencies, between the BizTalk projects, they can be added to the references for the project (no circular dependencies).

David Downing... If this answers your question, please Mark as the Answer. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 4:39 PM
  • Thanks. Is having 2 projects in one solution the only way to do that?

Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:48 AM
  • No, if you want you can have all BizTalk artifacts (schemas, maps, orchestrations, ...) for all your functionality in a single project if you want.

Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Then how can I put the different parts/functionalities in one project, for my original requirements above?

Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:26 PM
  • I'm not sure I understand your question.  For your original description (unless I am missing something), I would do the following:

For Part 1:

1. Have a receive port to receive the file. (unrelated to your BizTalk project)
    2. Have either a send port -> SQL adapter (possible mapping in BizTalk project), or an orchestration with your own data access layer to insert into the table (part of a BizTalk Project).

For Part 2:

1. Use a scheduled orchestration to poll the DB using either a SQL adapter or your own data access layer.  (part of a BizTalk project).
    2. If the poll returns data, use either a SQL adapter or your own data access layer to write data to the other DB table (included in orchestration logic above). (part of a BizTalk project).

The BizTalk project artifacts needed for both Part 1 and Part 2 can either be in the same BizTalk project or in separate projects.  The key to using these in the runtime depends on how they are deployed and bound, not which BizTalk project assembly contains the artifacts.

HTH

Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:45 PM