none
examples on windows embedded CE using VC++ RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I like to start developing embedded windows CE application on WINCE 5, But I needed some examples. I found some examples on win32 API and for curiosity: are they the same or they are two completely different tools. If they are different is there a place where I can find examples. Thanks.

Esmat
    • Moved by Rob Pan Friday, August 26, 2011 9:49 AM (From:Visual C++ General)
    Monday, August 15, 2011 2:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• This is what was written on the subject in 1998:

"The Windows CE API is a subset of Win32; anything you write for CE will run on Win32. However, Win32 experience does not prepare Windows programmers for the differences between CE and the desktop. As the story goes, if the compatibility is 90 percent, developers will probably spend 90 percent of their time determining the 10 percent of the API that is different. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as setting a switch in the IDE to "compile my program for Windows CE."

The optimal way to develop for Windows CE, and to leverage your Win32 API expertise in the process, is to quickly learn which portion of the Win32 API is not supported by CE."

(from http://drdobbs.com/windows/184410532).

Monday, August 15, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Sergy, Thanks for your feedback; it helped a lot. I am curious if what you mentioned above applies to all versions of embedded windows CE. For example, is embedded CE5 considered a subset of win32?
    Esmat
    Monday, August 15, 2011 8:44 PM
  • Sergy, Thanks for your feedback; it helped a lot. I am curious if what you mentioned above applies to all versions of embedded windows CE. For example, is embedded CE5 considered a subset of win32?
    Esmat
    As they say, "this is beyond my area of expertise". Sorry. I guess, that still, Win API for any CE is a subset of WIn 32 (Windows API) for desktop. That is all.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 4:50 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I suggest you can follow this link to learn about Windows CE development: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms905511.aspx. In this link, you can find some useful sample about WinCE Building a Run-Time Image for the Emulator

In addition, there is forum named Windows Embedded Compact which you can post your WinCE issue in the MSDN forum.

Best Regards,

Rob

Rob Pan [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Rob Pan Wednesday, August 24, 2011 9:29 AM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 8:52 AM