Global Replace of Connection String value in a Dataset.xsd file RRS feed

• Question

• User1604699451 posted

I'm updating an app that uses several typed data sets, each of which points to one of three sql data bases:  DB1, DB2, DB3.

I'm going to merge the three DBs into DB_ALL, and create a new connection string to it.

When that's done, I'd like some way of editing the datasets to use the new connection string, so I don't have to recreate them (agh!)

I'm thinking I might be able to do a find/replace all on the .XSD file for the datasets, to replace the old connection string name with the new one.

Will this work, or are there other issues that I need to consider?

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 4:34 PM

Answers

• User37182867 posted

Yes, doing a Search and Replace should work just fine. Just remember to keep the files open incase it messes things up you can go back and undo the replace.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 4:46 PM

All replies

• User37182867 posted

Yes, doing a Search and Replace should work just fine. Just remember to keep the files open incase it messes things up you can go back and undo the replace.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 4:46 PM
  • User1604699451 posted

Thanks for the answer.  I also realized I could leave the connection string names and edit the connection string content to point to the one database,  Good to have options!

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 5:57 PM