none
Cannot setup SQL Server 2000 on a Windows Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to setup SQL Server 2000 on a Windows Server 2008. But it cannot setup successfully.

It shows warning messages that "IIS is not installed, or Server Components are not configuration" and "ASP.NET is not installed, or not register it on Server". After Installation, I can't find two virtual websites: "Reports" and "ReportServer" on IIS.

If anyone else knows how to setup SQL Server 2000 on a Windows Server 2008 successfully, plaese let me know.
    I would really appreciate.

Thanks and Regards,
    Stella

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

SQL Server 2005 presents several advances in technology from its predecessor, SQL Server 2000. One such important advancement is the support for patching SQL Server 2005 editions through Windows Update Services, which is not available for SQL Server 2000(MSDE).

Similarly, there are several advances in security and performance in the “Longhorn”, such as ‘User Access Control’ that SQL Server 2005 can work with, but that SQL Server 2000(MSDE) cannot.

Given these facts, along with the fact SQL Server 2000 (including MSDE) is an aging product nearing the end of its support lifecycle Microsoft decided that its customers would be best served by focusing its resources to test and validate SQL Server 2005 on the new Windows Vista/”Longhorn” platform and provide a clear upgrade path for our SQL Server 2000 (including MSDE) customers to the new SQL Server 2005 platform, rather than invest on making very significant changes to SQL Server 2000 editions to run on Vista/Longhorn.

You may want to visit the below link to get further information on this -

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/faq-sql_on_vista.mspx

Hope above clarifies.

Thanks.

Pooja.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

SQL Server 2005 presents several advances in technology from its predecessor, SQL Server 2000. One such important advancement is the support for patching SQL Server 2005 editions through Windows Update Services, which is not available for SQL Server 2000(MSDE).

Similarly, there are several advances in security and performance in the “Longhorn”, such as ‘User Access Control’ that SQL Server 2005 can work with, but that SQL Server 2000(MSDE) cannot.

Given these facts, along with the fact SQL Server 2000 (including MSDE) is an aging product nearing the end of its support lifecycle Microsoft decided that its customers would be best served by focusing its resources to test and validate SQL Server 2005 on the new Windows Vista/”Longhorn” platform and provide a clear upgrade path for our SQL Server 2000 (including MSDE) customers to the new SQL Server 2005 platform, rather than invest on making very significant changes to SQL Server 2000 editions to run on Vista/Longhorn.

You may want to visit the below link to get further information on this -

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/faq-sql_on_vista.mspx

Hope above clarifies.

Thanks.

Pooja.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:51 AM
  • Dear Pooja,

Thanks for your Answer.

I'm sorry that I still have another problem, Cannot Setup SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services on Windows Server 2008.

The message are showed as above post.

If any one else know how to solve, please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

Stella

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:13 AM
  • Hi,

I haven't tried installing SQL Server 2000 on WS 2008 but did run into a similar problem installing SQL Server 2005 and the solution may be similar.  IIS must be configured to include the IIS 6 Management Compatibility.  Once I did this the SQL Server 2005 installer was able to install Reporting Services.  This post was very helpful in resolving the issue:
    http://geekswithblogs.net/jimhlavin/archive/2008/04/01/installing-sql-server-2005-reporting-services-on-windows-server-2008.aspx

HTH

Andy
    Andrew Novick
    Novick Software

Monday, January 26, 2009 4:37 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution for your problem?  I'm about to purchase a new server and want to know if I can get windows server 2008 on it, but have to run sql 2000.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 5:55 PM
  • Please check the article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948680 Description of the Microsoft server applications that are supported on Windows Server 2008

Applications that are incompatible

Microsoft BizTalk 2004 and earlier versions of BizTalk

• Microsoft Commerce Server 2002 and earlier versions of Commerce Server
    • Microsoft Compute Cluster Server 2003
    • Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 and earlier versions of Microsoft Dynamics CRM
    • Microsoft Exchange Server 2003
    • Microsoft Host Integration Server 2004 and earlier versions of Host Integration Server
    • Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2006 and earlier versions of ISA Server
    • Microsoft Speech Server 2004 R2
    • Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and earlier versions of SQL Server
    • Microsoft System Center Reporting Manager 2006
    • Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:40 AM