Simultaneous connections and async requests RRS feed

• Question

• 1. How does the laod test functionality handle multiple connections to the server? FOr IE 8 for example, it has 8 simultaneous connections as a maximum. How do you simulate this in a load test given it will affect performance. Does one instance of a webtest running only has one connection?

2. Silverlight clients use async requests, meaning they don't wait for the answer before sending the next request. Is there some way to simulate this?

Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• What version of visual studio are you using?

#1) had a similar question just a couple weeks ago: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vstswebtest/thread/756cc44b-f98e-4a34-8401-6ccee98dcc2a

#2) to get requests firing independent of one another I guess you could break them into different web tests.  Example, if request 1 and request 2 are firing more or less simultaneously and independent of each other they could be broken into different web tests.  Short of that I think you would have to drop into the code.

There is an asynch discussion here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/edglas/archive/2007/12/02/web-test-authoring-and-debugging-techniques-for-vs-2008.aspx but I don't think the feature made the 2010 cut

and a vs 2008 plugin here: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/aspnetajaxtesting.aspx

Tim
    • Marked as answer by mattias_s Monday, September 5, 2011 8:25 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:29 PM
  • I'm using VSTS 2010. I'm simulating a SIlverlight client that utilizes web service calls. If I understand Silverlight correctly it uses async service requests and firing a bunch of them at the same time. If I understand the discussion you sent this cannot be simulated, only dependent requests are done simultaneously.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:20 PM
  • You are correct in that at least in the newer versions of silverlight all communications .  If you put the requests in different web tests and include them in a load test, they can and will fire simultaneously.  If you just try to use a webtest they will not unless you use a plugin or write code.

Tim
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Unfortunately that cannot be made since I need to have them in the same session...
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Hello mattias_s,

Thanks for your post.

As far as I know that the Silverlight application runs on the client, so if you want to simulate multiple users visit that application simultaneously, just as Tim mentioned above you need to create web tests and then put these web tests into load test.

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, September 5, 2011 8:22 AM
  • Yes, that I know :-)
    Monday, September 5, 2011 8:25 AM