Adding a Web Deployment Project is put into wrong project RRS feed

• Question

• User-1573135047 posted

I have a solution which consists of 4 projects:  1 web service, 1 console app, 1 dll, and 1 Web Site.

I have added a Web Deployment Project for the web service and have 3 configurations: Dev, Test, and Prod.  That builds just fine, the Connection Strings in the web.config get replaced successfully.  Great.

But now I want to add a deployment project for the web site (as oppposed to the web service) so that when I build it the connection string will get updated.  I can add another Web Deployment project, but don't have extra configuration options for the Web Site.  If I go into the configuration manage, there's only a "debug" option for the website.  Should this be a web application instead of a web site?

Friday, April 18, 2008 12:04 PM

Answers

• User372121194 posted

Hi,

In your case, your project is ASP.NET website project, which is different to ASP.NET web application project.

For ASP.NET website, the ASP.NET does all of the compilation, the debug setting in the compilation section of web.config controls debug or release mode. The only option appearing in a Visual Studio 2005 website is a Debug configuration, which means nothing in this case. The compilation section of web.config is used.

If you add the Web Deployment Projects to your solution, it adds Release and Debug configurations to the Visual Studio 2005 configuration manager. So Visual Studio knows how to use the MSBuild file provided by Web Deployment Projects to build your website with Debug or Release mode.

I hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:31 AM