none
What would you like to see in v1.5 of the Kinect for Windows SDK? RRS feed

All replies

• Hello,

finger tracking would be the next logical step after the announcement of providing 10 point skeletal tracking for (especially) a seated person. But I guess it is not realistic to await finger tracking support in the next sdk release.

One big wish I do have: Please provide VB.NET samples with the next release. Because to me as a VB.NET developer it means a huge amount of extra work to translate the C# code samples to VB.NET.

Regards,

Martin

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 9:34 AM
  • just gesture recording and tracking in general which is on the backlog todd said and so is vm support.  But if they implemented gesture recording and comparing you might be able to not need finger tracking because you record the whole gesture and compare the active persons gesture against prerecorded gesture and that would include fingers because i want full person gestures.

Im doing a sign language to  speech  project soon so it will be benefical if they at least include gesture support and vm support minimum in addition to fixing bugs with windows 7 embedded because i see all kinds of posts here and their about windows 7 embedded.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:11 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:09 PM
  • I haven't actually read if this is a future feature in the skype thread, but one additional thought, native support (or at the very least, with the v1.5 SDK) of the kinect on skype. I frequently have both video skype conferences and utilise the kinect at the same time, whilst I can get around the conflicts (have to start the webcam first THEN the kinect), it'd be nice if skype would also interface (not simultaneously of course and hopefully without the workaround method provided in the skype thread here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/4ee6e7ca-123d-4838-82b6-e5816bf6529c)

I suppose not having it gives people like scott freedom to explore such avenues though.

That being said, I know that, that's not the intended use of the kinect, but it'd be a convenience thing more than anything.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:01 AM
  • auto calibration between two kinects should be available. let say a subject is used as a calibration, icp should be applied within the device and the depth stream should stream from both the cameras...

a neutral xyz should be assumed and all the devices xyz should be transformed to that xyz, so that when point cloud is taken, a good view i.e more than 180 degrees of the person would be seen

Thursday, March 29, 2012 8:14 AM
  • I agree with ni28 since audio from kinect is automatically dectected as a mic why not include a simple filter or modify scotts in the link above to correctly recognize the kinect as video camera from any application?

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:36 PM
  • Big number 1 for me would still be basic color cam control for gain, brightness, hue etc. 

Great the next update is only two months away!! 

Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:42 PM
  • The Ability to define or map areas with a key gesture areas as "hot" tracking the 3d space as defined by tracking of hands locations. Having this spatial data shown in live feedback and generated as a code. When defining the space that interactions occur, Context can be derived not only from gestures but where they occur.

The ability to edit these mapped areas definitions to allow adjustment visually, even in basic wire frame would prove realy handy.

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:23 PM
  • Increase the accuracy of skeleton tracking. Today the skeleton is again a guess of human shape and during the body movement the skeleton tends to flicker; tracking process don't run smoothles but with tremors. Even worst joint angle are often wrong.

The perfect skeleton tracking is the most important feature to build serious applications and not only toys.

Monday, April 2, 2012 6:35 PM
  • A function to get world XYZ coordinates for depth data!
    Friday, May 4, 2012 3:08 AM
  • better skeleton tracking would probably involve your suggestion todd_9 so just mark helpful whoever suggested better skeleton tracking.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Friday, May 4, 2012 1:57 PM
  • Hey Martin, 

I have a couple vb.net examples on my blog at http://carlfranklin.net

Carl

Sunday, May 6, 2012 1:24 PM
  • Hey Thinker, check out GesturePak for recording and recognizing gestures (http://www.gesturepak.com). It's only 99 bucks.
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 1:25 PM
  • I tryed it and it crashed when I tryed it but I admit i wasnt using the correct kinect I needed to use the kinect for windows.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 12:06 PM
  • I wish webcam/video feed filters were included with kinect for windows sdk v1.5 both the kinect depth and rgb video cams.

Anyone created one besides scott orange that works?

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, May 9, 2012 12:28 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Access to the Infra-red stream would be a favourite - makes it much easier to calibrate the Kinect to an external RGB camera.

Also, detecting users without being able to see their heads.  If you're trying to track feet, you have to be a long way back to see the head and feet well.

Regards,

Steve

Monday, May 14, 2012 8:17 AM
  • mmfwmc mark the guy that said better skeleton tracking because feet tracking is part of the skeleton tracking so it would mean better partial skeleton tracking. But agree we need a directshow filter example that would make  better calibration possible without having to code the sample program or build it to use it for that purpose and for webcam people so you can calibrate the rgb feed seperate with filter compared in same program with dept stream which would make things easier if its computer or kinect that failed.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:14 PM