Installing SQL Server on SUSE Linux RRS feed

• Question

• I followed the steps in the documentation to install sqlserver on suse (A new SUSE Enterprise Server 12 sp2 vm on vmware) 

I get the following error...

Problem: nothing provides libsss_nss_idmap0 needed by mssql-server

How do I install the pre-requisites to get sql-server to install correctly...

I apologise in advance if this is a stupid question.. but I have tried to find a repository with the libsss_nss bit and I cant seem to git the right bits installed. I am not a linux expert...

John

John Smytth

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 10:44 AM

Answers

• Hi John,

>>Problem: nothing provides libsss_nss_idmap0 needed by mssql-server

Just so you know we are aware of this issue and that’s because libsss_nss_idmap0 is not included in standard suse repo.

Currently the workaround is to install SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development kit via YAST2>>Software Repositories>>Add>>Extensions and Modules from Registration Server>> SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development kit SP2 x86_64. Note that this does require your SUSE server to be registered with a valid registration code.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 6:59 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

>>Problem: nothing provides libsss_nss_idmap0 needed by mssql-server

Just so you know we are aware of this issue and that’s because libsss_nss_idmap0 is not included in standard suse repo.

Currently the workaround is to install SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development kit via YAST2>>Software Repositories>>Add>>Extensions and Modules from Registration Server>> SUSE Linux Enterprise Software Development kit SP2 x86_64. Note that this does require your SUSE server to be registered with a valid registration code.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 25, 2017 6:59 AM
  • Class... Thank you so much Lin

That did the trick.. I have sql working on SUSE.

...Probably should add this step to the getting started instructions for sql on SUSE for dummies like me.

John

John Smytth

Thursday, May 25, 2017 2:59 PM
  • Hi John,

Glad to help. Please mark the corresponding reply as answer as it would benefit other forum users when they are reading this thread.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:14 PM