none
C++ and C# with different versions

Question

• Hello

My situation is the following: In a Windows 7 machine, I have already installed Visual Studio express 2010 with C++ only

Now I would like to install C# (and use some code created in C# NET 2003)

What should I do? Which version should I download? Can I use different versions of express for each language?

I heard also about community edition. should I download that instead and can I convert from code of the 2003 C# version?

I would really like some advice for this before I start downloading and installing since I need to use C# as soon as possible. 

(I am fairly good at C and C++ but this will be my introduction to C# programming)

Thanks a lot in advance

Monday, July 11, 2016 2:33 AM

Answers

• Hello

My situation is the following: In a Windows 7 machine, I have already installed Visual Studio express 2010 with C++ only

What should I do? Which version should I download? Can I use different versions of express for each language?

I heard also about community edition. should I download that instead and can I convert from code of the 2003 C# version?

I would really like some advice for this before I start downloading and installing since I need to use C# as soon as possible. 

(I am fairly good at C and C++ but this will be my introduction to C# programming)

Thanks a lot in advance

You should be able to install Visual Studio C++ Express and Visual Studio C# Express side-by-side. However, to me it makes more sense to use the most up-to-date development environment, namely Visual Studio 2015 Community  Edition, which contains both the C++ and C# compiler and much much more, with  much better debugging  features available to you.
    • Marked as answer by Robothito Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:30 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2016 2:45 AM

All replies

• Hello

Thanks a lot in advance

You should be able to install Visual Studio C++ Express and Visual Studio C# Express side-by-side. However, to me it makes more sense to use the most up-to-date development environment, namely Visual Studio 2015 Community  Edition, which contains both the C++ and C# compiler and much much more, with  much better debugging  features available to you.
    • Marked as answer by Robothito Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:30 AM
    Monday, July 11, 2016 2:45 AM
  • Thank you. I did as you indicated and now it is working fine!

Community is handling my C# code. The custom installation did not install the C++ though (it seems I can download it)

I still have the 2010 C++ so for the moment I havent downloaded yet.

It also has other downloadable languages it seems. 

Thanks again!

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:30 AM