none
DS3 VM on Premium Storage

Question

• I have created a D3 VM and attached a Standard Storage as Drive F: and I am not happy with its performance. I placed the InetPub folder (Website / application files) and SQL database on drive D: (Temporary SSD) and I am getting a better performance.

I am thinking about creating a Premium Storage (LRS SSD) and a DS3 VM, and I have a few questions:

1. Is it true that I first have to create the Premium Storage and then the VM?

2. Is the new VM created on the Premium Storage, meaning that C: drive is Premium Storage (SSD)?

3. To create a DS3 VM, is it true that I just create a D3 VM but use Premium Storage  and that is what makes it DS3?

4. I need to capture the image of the VM to use it to create a new VM.

5. My current D3 VM & Storage are in East US.  It looks like Premium Storage is available in East US 2.  If I capture the image of my current VM, can I use it to create the DS3 VM in East US 2 on Premium Storage?

6. I read few placed about VM on Premium Storage crashing.  Is it stable?

Thank you, Esmail

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:05 PM

Answers

• Hi,

1. Yes, same thing apply for a standard storage account, it need to exist prior to VM creation.

2. Yes, the C: drive or OSDisk is the disk that will be created in premium storage (if you don't need any data disk)

3. No, you specifically need to create a DS series to use Premium Storage. DS support both standard & premium storage, D series only standard storage. You need to choose DS and not D.

4. You can capture an image if you want, this will work no problem. BUT you can also delete the VM and keep your vhd (your VHD will remain in your standard storage account) then move the vhd to a premium storage account in East US 2 and create a VM referencing that vhd. It is more simple this way than capturing if the intend is to perform a move and not duplicating your VM to multiple instances.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-migration-to-premium-storage/

5. Yes you can do that but you will need to copy your captured image to the premium storage account in East US 2 before you can use it. It is a limitation right now, the user image must be in the same storage account you intend to create VM from it.

6. We use Premium Storage a lot and never experienced crashes related to Premium Storage, from time to time there is capacity issues in Azure but if your VM is already running you shouldn't be affected by this... it is only when you start or provision new VM that you have chances to encounter this. Please note also that capacity have been increased in US recently and that problem like this are probably solved by now.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:27 PM
  • It is probably the storage that is causing this yes...

Keep your VM but just deallocate it, copy your vhd to a new file, move the new vhd to a premium storage account and create a VM from it. That way you'll have the same machine running on both standard and premium storage.

From there you could run whenever tests you want, compare your app performance, disk benchmark, etc..

Thursday, October 29, 2015 1:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Yes, same thing apply for a standard storage account, it need to exist prior to VM creation.

2. Yes, the C: drive or OSDisk is the disk that will be created in premium storage (if you don't need any data disk)

3. No, you specifically need to create a DS series to use Premium Storage. DS support both standard & premium storage, D series only standard storage. You need to choose DS and not D.

4. You can capture an image if you want, this will work no problem. BUT you can also delete the VM and keep your vhd (your VHD will remain in your standard storage account) then move the vhd to a premium storage account in East US 2 and create a VM referencing that vhd. It is more simple this way than capturing if the intend is to perform a move and not duplicating your VM to multiple instances.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/storage-migration-to-premium-storage/

5. Yes you can do that but you will need to copy your captured image to the premium storage account in East US 2 before you can use it. It is a limitation right now, the user image must be in the same storage account you intend to create VM from it.

6. We use Premium Storage a lot and never experienced crashes related to Premium Storage, from time to time there is capacity issues in Azure but if your VM is already running you shouldn't be affected by this... it is only when you start or provision new VM that you have chances to encounter this. Please note also that capacity have been increased in US recently and that problem like this are probably solved by now.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:27 PM
  • Thank you so much for detailed and helpful answer.

May I ask you this question?

I am migrating from my current VM on a dedicated server to Azure VM.  The dedicated server is 4 years old has much less resources (CPU & Memory) than D3 VM I am testing.  The same application is running on D3 VM much slower than on the VM the old server.  One of my thoughts is the Standard Storage causing it and that is why I am thinking of getting DS3 on Premium Storage.

Is there a way to test and see if that is causing it?

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 9:27 PM
  • Also, this question to your suggestion:4. You can capture an image if you want, this will work no problem.

BUT you can also delete the VM and keep your vhd (your VHD will remain in your standard storage account) then move the vhd to a premium storage account in East US 2 and create a VM referencing that vhd. It is more simple this way than capturing if the intend is to perform a move and not duplicating your VM to multiple instances.

Do I need to delete the VM?  Can I copy the vhd without deleting the VM?  I would like to run both side-by-side to check the performance.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 9:39 PM
  • It is probably the storage that is causing this yes...

Keep your VM but just deallocate it, copy your vhd to a new file, move the new vhd to a premium storage account and create a VM from it. That way you'll have the same machine running on both standard and premium storage.

From there you could run whenever tests you want, compare your app performance, disk benchmark, etc..

Thursday, October 29, 2015 1:50 AM
  • See my previous answer...

No you don't have to delete it, simply stop/deallocate it before making a copy of your vhd is enough.

Thursday, October 29, 2015 1:53 AM
  • Thank you so much.  I will do it and let you know.
    Thursday, October 29, 2015 1:38 PM
  • Don't forget to mark this topic as useful or as answered.

Have a good one.

Stephane Lapointe

Thursday, October 29, 2015 3:15 PM
  • Based on your suggestion, I did one thing as an interim step to see if I gain any performance.  I placed Application and Database on S Drive which is SSD.  Performance got a bit better, but not a whole lot.  Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you,

Esmail

Monday, November 9, 2015 7:30 PM
  • Hi,

There is a lot of factors and the fact that I don't have details about your specific installation so I cannot really comment on it.

Please see this document as it will guide you on best practices to run a SQL Server on Azure.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-sql-server-performance-best-practices/

Probably that the P30 disks are a bit overkill for you need, in that case you can use P10 disks, anyhow this is a good place to plan you SQL server with great performance on Azure VMs.

Have a good one.

Stephane Lapointe

• Edited by s_lapointeMVP Monday, November 16, 2015 3:54 PM added link to article
    Monday, November 16, 2015 3:52 PM