Change permission level on list item RRS feed

• Question

• I have two lists. I've given contribute permission level to all users on List A. But on List B, users only have read level.

I want to create a workflow on List A when a new item is created, then that item gets created in List B as well.

I read a post on adding a Grant Permission on Item in Actions. But having that workflow is not working for me.

Please advise.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Follow this link to create custom permission level.(with screens)

http://it-diaries.blogspot.in/2010/02/create-custom-permissions-in-sharepoint.html

Let us know if you find any issue

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:58 AM
  • Hi,

You can not add specific permission through workflow but your can provide permission level like:contribute, approver, read etc through designer workflow/VS workflow. As per your requirement, better you do whatever i have suggested earlier.

Hope it could help

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

A workflow always runs  with the permissions of the person who starts  the workflow. If this person does not have the necessary permissions to access  the list or item, the workflow does not have these permissions either.You may try to give impersonate to workflow action so it can give the workflow admin right.

1.   Choose  any step in the workflow edit zone.

2.     Click Impersonation Step in the insert zone of the ribbon.

3.     A Impersonation Step will be added below the chose step

Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:18 AM
  • Thank you for the reply...but err...is this something I can do in SharePoint 2007? I don't see any Impersonation Step option. I did read something about that, but I thought that's in 2010.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:53 PM
  • OK sorry about my previous post. I forgot that is not available in 2007. So i can suggest some more way,

1. If you want to work with designer then you have to give "Add Item" permission on that list for user. You may create custom permission and give only read and "Add Item" security and apply this level to all user on that list B.

2. Create visual studio workflow which can run with admin account as well.

3. You may also create event receiver to copy item in second list without giving any additional rights. You would be able to run your code with admin right.

Hope it could help

Friday, September 21, 2012 4:57 AM
  • Can you please tell me the step by step on how to create a custom permission with read and add item security.

Thank you.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:09 AM
  • Hi,

Follow this link to create custom permission level.(with screens)

http://it-diaries.blogspot.in/2010/02/create-custom-permissions-in-sharepoint.html

Let us know if you find any issue

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 4:58 AM
  • Thank you so much. This helps.

But can I add the Add Item permission to the user through a workflow instead of applying the permission on the list?

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

You can not add specific permission through workflow but your can provide permission level like:contribute, approver, read etc through designer workflow/VS workflow. As per your requirement, better you do whatever i have suggested earlier.

Hope it could help

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:55 AM
  • JHeizhee, please mark any helpful answers.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, October 19, 2012 7:31 PM