Bluetooth use in various environments question, WM6 RRS feed

• Question

• Folks,

Our mobile device and application is being used in a multiple-conference room environment, for example a convention center.  Multiple devices, laptops in most of the conference rooms, and a system acting as a server in it's own room, laptops and server connected via Ethernet.  I am looking for alternatives to GPRS connectivity, which is not working well. 

Is this a good environment for using Bluetooth or wireless, and what are the issues involved?

Details: Wifi will not be an option in some places;  to set up Wifi in some of the hotels used for the conventions it is actively disallowed and blocked, or prohibitively expensive, which is why I am thinking Bluetooth.

I am worried that since Bluetooth is pseudo line-of-sight the units may not always be able to connect with a convenient laptop or the server system.  Placing boosters/access points in places that there is no laptop available is not an option, unfortunately.  I am also concerned with the range of the units, as some shows are in very large venues, and the devices may be a couple of hundred feet away.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sean

Friday, July 27, 2012 6:46 PM

All replies