none
IE 8 and FIrefox take 30 seconds to load RRS feed

• Question

• Both of my browers are taking ~30 seconds to load.  This is happening 2 months into a clean Win 7 install.  Affected both browsers on the same date and continues to present.  Both browsers were working well before this event. 
    Monday, April 20, 2009 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi PigSnack,

A bit of a coincidence that both browsers would be affected at about the same time...  Did you install any software at about the time you noticed the behavior (perhaps, Flash)?  Can you try using system restore to restore your system to a point in time before you noticed the behavior?  If you log in as a different user, do you notice the behavior?  If you boot into safe mode do you notice the behavior?  If you disable third party browser extension in IE, do you notice the behavior?
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:19 PM
  • IE8 shows you how long each add-in you have takes time to load. Do you see any obvious offenders in "Tools | Manage Add-ons'?

Thanks,
    Michael
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 3:38 AM
  • So far I have reset IE 8 under the advanced options.  No change.  Both IE 8 and Firefox take 30 seconds to load and file transfers with either are very slow generally <20 kbps.  This is a recent occurrence.  Windows 7 with both browsers was working fine on my system for 2 months.  I did a clean install a couple days ago or else I would try a restore point.  I suspect it is a Windows update that has caused this to happen. 

Sorry... this is wrong forum.  I will post this in Windows 7 Performance
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009 6:59 PM
  • You can definitely analyze why a program takes 30 seconds to load using WPT on Windows 7. But it'll require understanding of basic OS concepts like scheduling and disk I/O. You'll need to use WPT 4.4 that comes with Windows 7 Beta SDK (or later). Capture a trace using

xperf -start perf!GeneralProfiles.InBuffer
    // Run scenario
    xperf -stop perf!GeneralProfiles.InBuffer merged.etl

and then open resulting ETL file with

xperf merged.etl

You'll be presented with usage graphs for both CPU and Disk. For more details please refer to the WPT documentation at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc305187.aspx.

Hope this helps,
    Michael
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 8:42 PM