none
Validate caption labels RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm making a word template in VSTO and I want to validate whether a CaptionLabels.

The code I am using is the following and I will fail. Can you help me with this problem?

Public Class frmIns_texto_docto
        Dim texto_insertar, tipo_texto_insertar As String
        Dim textorange As Word.Range = Globals.ThisDocument.Application.Selection.Range()

Private Sub btn_aceptar_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btn_aceptar.Click

tipo_texto_insertar = lbl_tipo_texto.Text 'Variable para determinar el tipo de caso a realizar

texto_insertar = txtIns_texto.Text 'Variable con el valor de texto a insertar

If texto_insertar = "" Then

Exit Sub

End If

Select Case tipo_texto_insertar

Case "figura"
                    Dim captionlabelexist As Boolean

Dim captionlbl As Word.CaptionLabel = Globals.ThisDocument.Application.CaptionLabels

captionlabelexist = captionlbl("Figura")

If captionlabelexist = False Then
                        Globals.ThisDocument.Application.CaptionLabels.Add("Figura")

End If

With Globals.ThisDocument.Application.Selection
                        .InsertCaption(Label:="Figura", TitleAutoText:="InsertarTítulo1", Title:="", Position:=Word.WdCaptionPosition.wdCaptionPositionBelow, _
                                       ExcludeLabel:=0)
                        .TypeText(Text:=". " & texto_insertar)
                    End With
                    textorange.Select()
                    textorange.Style = "Figuras MI"

Case "nota"

Globals.ThisDocument.Application.Selection.TypeText(Text:="Nota: " & texto_insertar)
                    textorange.Select()
                    textorange.Style = "Notas"

Case Else

Exit Sub

End Select

Me.Close()
            Globals.ThisDocument.Application.ActiveWindow.SetFocus()
        End Sub

End Class

Thanks in advance

Sunday, August 17, 2014 3:52 AM

Answers

• Hi Gustavo

The CaptionLabels collection doesn't work the way Fei Xue proposes. It's not possible to use a non-existant caption label as an indexer - you get the error message you report, rather than return Nothing/null as would be the case in a .NET Framework collection. This is often the case with collections in the Word object model, which dates back to the early 1990s...

Instead, you have to LOOP (For or ForEach) the collection and compare the Name of each entry with the string you're interested in. If you loop through the entire collection without a match, then the member does not exist. Indeed, this is not efficient, but that's how it is! If you need to query the CaptionLabels more than once it's probably a good idea to loop the collection and write the members to an Array or other Framework entity that you can access more efficiently (will return Nothing/null if the member is not present).

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:10 PM
  • Hello Cindy,

Thanks for you response.

I already solved my issue, I use "try catch" to catch the exception null / nothing.

Private Sub btnIns_tit_img_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnIns_tit_img.Click

Dim frmIns_texto_docto As New frmIns_texto_docto

Try
                If CaptionLabelExists("Figura") = False Then
                End If

Catch ex As Exception
                MsgBox(ex.ToString)

End Try

frmIns_texto_docto.Text = "Titulo de figura"
            frmIns_texto_docto.lblIns_texto_docto.Text = "Introduce el nombre de la figura:"
            frmIns_texto_docto.txtIns_texto.Text = ""
            frmIns_texto_docto.lbl_tipo_texto.Text = "figura"
            frmIns_texto_docto.ShowDialog()

End Sub

Regards

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Hi Gustavo

You can do that, however you need to be aware that invoking Try..Catch will also slow your code down. No idea if it's slower than the loop approach, so just FYI :-)

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 5:14 PM

All replies

• Hi Gustavo,

The return value of CaptionLabels collection is an individual CaptionLabel object in a collection. We can pass it to a Boolean value. Here is the code to check whether it exists:

If IsNothing(Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.CaptionLabels("Figure")) Then

End If

You can get more detail from link below:
    CaptionLabels.Item Method

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 18, 2014 8:27 AM
  • Hello Fei

thanks, I tried the code you sent me but I still see the same error.

The element of the set requested does not exist.

error code -2146822347

I'm working on a template word, so I use Globals.ThisDocument.Application code for my forms.

Regards

Monday, August 18, 2014 9:45 PM
  • Hi Gustavo

The CaptionLabels collection doesn't work the way Fei Xue proposes. It's not possible to use a non-existant caption label as an indexer - you get the error message you report, rather than return Nothing/null as would be the case in a .NET Framework collection. This is often the case with collections in the Word object model, which dates back to the early 1990s...

Instead, you have to LOOP (For or ForEach) the collection and compare the Name of each entry with the string you're interested in. If you loop through the entire collection without a match, then the member does not exist. Indeed, this is not efficient, but that's how it is! If you need to query the CaptionLabels more than once it's probably a good idea to loop the collection and write the members to an Array or other Framework entity that you can access more efficiently (will return Nothing/null if the member is not present).

Tuesday, August 19, 2014 5:10 PM
  • Hello Cindy,

Thanks for you response.

I already solved my issue, I use "try catch" to catch the exception null / nothing.

Private Sub btnIns_tit_img_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnIns_tit_img.Click

Dim frmIns_texto_docto As New frmIns_texto_docto

Try
                If CaptionLabelExists("Figura") = False Then
                End If

Catch ex As Exception
                MsgBox(ex.ToString)

End Try

frmIns_texto_docto.Text = "Titulo de figura"
            frmIns_texto_docto.lblIns_texto_docto.Text = "Introduce el nombre de la figura:"
            frmIns_texto_docto.txtIns_texto.Text = ""
            frmIns_texto_docto.lbl_tipo_texto.Text = "figura"
            frmIns_texto_docto.ShowDialog()

End Sub

Regards

Tuesday, September 2, 2014 2:38 PM
  • Hi Gustavo

You can do that, however you need to be aware that invoking Try..Catch will also slow your code down. No idea if it's slower than the loop approach, so just FYI :-)

Wednesday, September 10, 2014 5:14 PM