none
Excel 2013 add-ins RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My desktop application can act as an ole server that can be inserted into an Office document using "Insert-Object". I'm thinking about providing similar functionailty via an Excel add-in. It needs to be an add-in rather than an app because I need to be able to call C++ dlls. I think this is the case, I don't see anything in the new Office technologies that would allow me to go any other way.

What I was wondering was, is there any way to get exposure for add-ins in the Office Store? The store seems to have app listings but not add-ins.

• Moved by JesBModerator Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:41 PM Move to appropriate forum
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:35 AM

Answers

• Hello,

I'm going to move this to our Publishing Apps for the Office Store Forum.

The Office Store is focused on the new app extensibility model and there are no plans to offer add-ins through that experience. However, significant investments have been made to improve Office.com search which uses Bing.

Here is additional information which is primarily information for providers with existing listings in the retired Marketplace, however it provides information such as SEO guidance: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/list-your-products-or-services-through-office-com-search-HA102846640.aspx

Here is a link to a  related post:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officestore/thread/8edf9956-c34d-4d4a-b01b-cfe7cbbf21dd

• Proposed as answer by JesBModerator Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by JesBModerator Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:40 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I'm going to move this to our Publishing Apps for the Office Store Forum.

The Office Store is focused on the new app extensibility model and there are no plans to offer add-ins through that experience. However, significant investments have been made to improve Office.com search which uses Bing.

Here is additional information which is primarily information for providers with existing listings in the retired Marketplace, however it provides information such as SEO guidance: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/list-your-products-or-services-through-office-com-search-HA102846640.aspx

Here is a link to a  related post:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/officestore/thread/8edf9956-c34d-4d4a-b01b-cfe7cbbf21dd

• Proposed as answer by JesBModerator Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by JesBModerator Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:50 PM
    Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:40 PM
  • You need to use the Windows Store, not the Office store for this. Below are the instructions I received from a helpful soul at Microsoft Customer Support.

When you submit a desktop app to the Windows Store, you don't upload the app itself. Instead, the first thing you need to do is run the Windows App Certification Kit. Next you send the results generated by the kit to us. After we've approved this results file, you can submit the app listing to the Store. This listing contains:

• Descriptive information about your app (what we call      your app listing data)
    • A URL to a site where customers can acquire the app

In general, here's what you do to get a desktop app listed in the Store:

1. Sign up for a Hardware/Desktop Dashboard Company Account.
    2. Using this account, submit the results of the      Windows App Certification Kit.
    3. After we approve the results, submit the app to the      Windows Store.
    4. Sign up as a company for a Windows Store developer account,      using the same account as in step 1.
    5. Approved apps that have passed the Windows App      Certification Kit will show up in the desktop dashboard and are ready to      submit to the Windows Store.
    6. Create listing information for the Windows Store,      and submit it for Windows Store Certification.
    7. Once the app has passed Windows Store Certification,      it will be listed in the Windows Store.

Friday, March 15, 2013 10:17 PM
  • Hi all,

The Windows Store may be a way to go for the desktop app Robert mentions, but more specifically around an Excel add-in he mentions he would need to list through his company site.

Thanks,

Jes Brown

Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:49 PM