// ...

GRC ^ gr = gcnew GRC;
    gc->bt = gcnew System::Drawing::Bitmap(100,100);

// now I want to Convert it to void * 

IntPtr p = AllocHGlobal( Marshal::SizeOf( gc ) );

Marshal::StructureToPtr( gc, p, false );

void * vp = p.ToPointer();

It's very good compiling, but then it runs, I got message:

An unhandled exception of type 'System.ArgumentException' occurred in myProject.exe
    Additional information: Type 'myProject.GRC' cannot be marshaled as an unmanaged structure; no meaningful size or offset can be computed.

I understood that error appears in
    Marshal::SizeOf( gc )

But, How can I correct it?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.runtime.interopservices.marshal.structuretoptr.aspx
    Here examples on VB and C#, not C++

Friday, October 16, 2009 3:43 PM

Answers

• Reference types will not work with Marshal::SizeOf because of their default memory layout. You would typically use a value type for this sort of interop since value types have a sequential layout by default, which in this case means changing you "ref" to "value". If you have to use a reference type then you need to manually change its memory layout by using the StructLayoutAttribute attribute. In this case a LayoutKind of Sequential will work.

Friday, October 16, 2009 4:06 PM

All replies

• Reference types will not work with Marshal::SizeOf because of their default memory layout. You would typically use a value type for this sort of interop since value types have a sequential layout by default, which in this case means changing you "ref" to "value". If you have to use a reference type then you need to manually change its memory layout by using the StructLayoutAttribute attribute. In this case a LayoutKind of Sequential will work.

Friday, October 16, 2009 4:06 PM
  • Thanks very much now it works

But I can't use Marshal::PtrToStructure with value type....
    I can make struct with ^ pointers, witch I can easy convert to void * and back to struct ^ like this

[StructLayout(LayoutKind::Sequential)]
    ref struct GRC
    {
         Bitmap ^ bt;

};

Friday, October 16, 2009 4:19 PM