none
VisualStudio 2012 crash on start - Driver Common Package error RRS feed

• Question

• Visual Studio 2012 has myseriously stopped working for me since yesterday afternoon. Whenever I try to start it, I now see a message box stating:

"Driver Common Package

Error loading the driver common package:
    No exports were found that match the constraint:
        ContractName
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Utilities.IContentTypeRegistryService
        RequiredTypeIdentity
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Utilities.IContentTypeRegistryService"

Some hints as to what a user should actually do as a result of this problem would be greatly appreciated given that the error is, at least to me, 100% opaque and equally as unhelpful.

Starting the IDE again with the -log option, I see the following errors in ActivityLog.xml:

217 ERROR Type provided must be an Enum. Parameter name: enumType
              C:\Users\a0190789\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ComponentModelCache\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Default.cache
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.ExtensibilityHosting.VsShellComponentModelHost 2013/08/02 00:25:44.463
    218 ERROR An error occured while loading assembly cache from the cache file:
              C:\Users\a0190789\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ComponentModelCache\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Default.cache
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.ExtensibilityHosting.VsShellComponentModelHost 2013/08/02 00:25:44.464
    219 ERROR Type provided must be an Enum. Parameter name: enumType
              C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 11.0\COMMON7\IDE\COMMONEXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\EDITOR\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.VSEditor.dll
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.CommonIDE.ExtensibilityHosting.VsShellComponentModelHost 2013/08/02 00:25:44.464
    220 Warning Temporary turn off caching for this assembly for the current session of the application
              C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MICROSOFT VISUAL STUDIO 11.0\COMMON7\IDE\COMMONEXTENSIONS\MICROSOFT\EDITOR\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Platform.VSEditor.dll

This sounds like some kind of corruption to me and in other circumstances I would likely just reinstall the tool and try again. Unfortunately, I'm traveling this week and have no access to an installation disk. Can anyone offer any suggestions to get me back up and running in the meantime without the need for a DVD or a fat internet pipe? In case it may be relevant, I installed WDK 8.0 yesterday afternoon. Visual Studio worked fine after this as far as I can remember but it hasn't worked since the first reboot after the WDK installation.

Thanks in advance!

Friday, August 2, 2013 12:41 AM

Answers

• Hello,

What about your issue now? Whether VS crashed again?

If the issue still has been not resolved, and you are not using VS Express, you could locate to the IDE folder then run these commands to check if it can help:

• Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE
    • Devenv.exe /SafeMode: Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows.
    • Devenv.exe /ResetSettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.
    • Devenv.exe /ResetAddin: Removes commands and command UI associated with the specified Add-in.
    • Devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs: Clears all SkipLoading tags added to VSPackages.
    • If still no help, I suggest you try repairing your VS or uninstall it and then reinstall it. If you want to reinstall it, I am afraid that you need a DVD or a fine internet.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Sunday, August 4, 2013 8:17 AM
  • Amanda,

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem came back yesterday after the latest Windows updates were pushed to my machine again.

Running with /SafeMode allows me to open VS successfully and build my project so I'll use this for now until I get home and have more time to run diagnostics.

Regards,

Dave

Sunday, August 4, 2013 11:16 PM

All replies

• I have had this issue for the last two days.  Yesterday, I did force uninstall/reinstall VS 2012 Ultimate.  That appeared to solve the problem, in that I was able to work the rest of the day without issue.  However, I left VS running overnight and, when I came in this morning, I found that it had crashed and this error had again manifested itself.  I am replying not because I have anything to offer as a solution, but rather to warn you that reinstalling VS only seems to help for about a day.  I will be interested to learn what the actual issue is and how to fix it.

Regards,

Charles

Friday, August 2, 2013 4:06 PM
  • I suspect some Windows update has messed us up. I noticed that my system had taken a few automatic updates overnight between the point VS worked and failed so I reverted to a previous restore point and VS is again working. The offending updates are about to be pushed to me again (I can't stop them, unfortunately - they are mandated by corporate IT) so we'll see if VS dies again when I open it tomorrow.
    Saturday, August 3, 2013 7:09 AM
  • Hello,

What about your issue now? Whether VS crashed again?

If the issue still has been not resolved, and you are not using VS Express, you could locate to the IDE folder then run these commands to check if it can help:

• Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE
    • Devenv.exe /SafeMode: Launches the IDE in safe mode loading minimal windows.
    • Devenv.exe /ResetSettings: Restores the IDE's default settings, optionally resets to the specified VSSettings file.
    • Devenv.exe /ResetAddin: Removes commands and command UI associated with the specified Add-in.
    • Devenv.exe /ResetSkipPkgs: Clears all SkipLoading tags added to VSPackages.
    • If still no help, I suggest you try repairing your VS or uninstall it and then reinstall it. If you want to reinstall it, I am afraid that you need a DVD or a fine internet.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Sunday, August 4, 2013 8:17 AM
  • Amanda,

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem came back yesterday after the latest Windows updates were pushed to my machine again.

Running with /SafeMode allows me to open VS successfully and build my project so I'll use this for now until I get home and have more time to run diagnostics.

Regards,

Dave

Sunday, August 4, 2013 11:16 PM
  • I had a similar issue.

By accessing C:\Users\<MyUser>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ActivityLog.xml 

I found the following error: 

Type provided must be an Enum. Parameter name: enumType
              C:\Users\<MyUser>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ComponentModelCache\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Default.cache

Looks like something COM related was cached in VisualStudio, then the type was swapped (by windows update?) so that the cached object became unusable.

By renaming the ComponentModelCache folder (to .old) a new folder was created when I started visual studio and it loaded without error.

Perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when nothing is left to remove.

• Proposed as answer by Avarkx Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:05 PM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 7:42 AM
  • I had this problem and your solution has solved that.

thanks

Monday, August 19, 2013 7:53 PM
  • Devenv.exe /ResetSettings

This fixed my problem. Thanks.

Grand Pubah Torpid Team Productions

Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Thanks a lot mate. Saved few hours :)

@TormodJS Kongsberg Maritime AS

• Edited by rikloves Tuesday, April 21, 2015 4:06 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2015 4:04 PM
  • Same problem with VS2013 on Windows 10 after recent background update. Fixed the problem too thanks.

Gerry

• Proposed as answer by scatitude Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:00 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by scatitude Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:01 AM
    • Proposed as answer by scatitude Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:01 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by scatitude Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:01 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:35 PM
  • Same problem with vs 2012.

I fixed the problem by deleting the content of : %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\11.0\ComponentModelCache and restarting VS2012.

• Proposed as answer by scatitude Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:03 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:03 AM
  • Confirmed fixed by renaming ComponentModelCache after Windows update.
    • Edited by JOPalenc Saturday, January 20, 2018 8:26 PM Typo
    Saturday, January 20, 2018 8:25 PM
  • Same problem occurred on VS 2017 professional.
    Thursday, October 18, 2018 6:51 AM