VS 2003 Pocket PC Emulator RRS feed

• Question

• User735576872 posted
    How do you use the Pocket PC Emulator in VS 2003 when developing an ASP.NET Mobile Web Application project? I know how when using a Device project, but that only applies to Windows Forms.
    Wednesday, January 26, 2005 4:18 PM

All replies

• User-519247512 posted
    You have to browse to it in the Inetpub/wwwroot folder with IE using a loop back syntax. First you have to Add/Remove Programs - Windows Components and Add the "Loop Back Adapter".. Then you have to configure the PocketPC2002(Default) Emulator to use your own IP address as the Proxy Server. Then use the PocketPC IE to browse your .aspx page; http://(your ip address)/(project folder)/(WebPage.aspx) Then it should display. Good Luck, jay
    Wednesday, January 26, 2005 11:30 PM
  • User735576872 posted
    Can't you just use the Emulator.exe in the ConnectionManager folder? I've been trying to get it to work according to the help, Emulator.chm Emulator /CEImage ppc2002.bin ........ You could then add this to the Browse with selections.
    Thursday, January 27, 2005 8:19 AM
  • User-519247512 posted
    You may be able to Add the Emulator to your list of 'Browse With' Options.. I don't know. I know that you will have to configure the Emulator to utilize your own IP as the Proxy Server.. or at least that's how I was able to emulate Web Page Access.. Though, the Emulator seems to be lacking in actual Online emulation.. as I can only navigate to locally hosted pages that I've placed in the Inetpub/wwwroot folder. If anyone knows how to configure the Emulator for actual Internet access, I'd like to hear about it.. thanks, jay
    Thursday, January 27, 2005 2:46 PM
  • User1725905170 posted
    I follow your instruction, but could not see "Loop Back Adapter" in Windows Components and don't know how to install it. Could you please help me? What could I did but not sure: 1. Add/Remove Hardware 2. Add/Troubleshoot a device 3. Add a new device 4. No, I want to select the hardware from the list 5. Network adapters 6. Manufacturers --> Microsoft 7. Netw. Adapter --> Microsoft Loooback Adpter --> Finish Now don't know how to browse Thank you very much
    Tuesday, February 1, 2005 12:56 AM
  • User1235981732 posted
    You can: 1. Turn on Internet Connection Sharing(ICS): Here are some reqs + instructions (may not be feasible for you though). Then, 2. Follow these instructions here. 3. Browse from your Pocket PC. Let us all know if you're rocking!
    Friday, February 11, 2005 7:45 PM
  • User-204634223 posted
    There's no option to enable Internet Connection Sharing if you are running XP PRO, connected to an enterprise network and logged into a domain. Does that mean that there is no way of testing mobile apps using the VS 2003 PPC emulator for the corporate developer?
    Wednesday, February 23, 2005 6:22 AM
  • User1235981732 posted
    No, that can't be true. Let me answer this question: ==== How do you use the Pocket PC Emulator in VS 2003 when developing an ASP.NET Mobile Web Application project? I know how when using a Device project, but that only applies to Windows Forms. ==== 1. Connect to Emulator: .>>Tools>>Connect to device...>>Connect 2. Using IE, browse to http://devComputerName/MobileWebApplication1/MobileWebForm1.aspx Notes: Notice there is a Platform drop down; this allows you to emulate Win CE devices. Also, note that the above may require the mobile internet toolkit and/or the Win CE utils for VS.NET 2003. The emulators allow you to connect to the Internet thru the connection on your PC though some config may be needed.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2005 1:07 PM
  • User-204634223 posted
    When I first tried the above I was using a fully qualified server/domain name in the address box and it was trying to find my server on the Internet. I realise now that to use fully-qualified names (with periods) I would have to create a work URL exception in the connection settings on the PPC emulator. Anyway, all seems to work fine now using the development machine hostname only. Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, February 24, 2005 5:12 AM
  • User1725905170 posted
    Thanks a lot for answering. I have tried with Connect to Emulator: .>>Tools>>Connect to device...>>Connect Then started Pocket PC IE and enter the URL as above, it displayed successfully but there is one disadvantage with Pocket PC simulator is we need the internet connection. I downloaded Mobile Explorer version 3 from Microsoft Website and Openwave 7 to test, and I am very happy.
    Wednesday, March 9, 2005 1:14 AM