Microsoft File Transfer Manager RRS feed

• Question

• User367204806 posted

Is there any way to interact with microsofts file transfer manager through asp.net ??

I'm developing a website that will allow a user to download movie files with one catch, I dont want them to have access to the file's URL directly (at least easily anyway) and I dont want to "stream" the file since that is pretty crappy and these are high definition (i.e. very large) movie files.    The biggest factor I want is to enable the user to resume a broken download and make it as seamless as possible for novice users.

I was hoping to use something like MS's file transfer manager if possible. 

If there are other options I missed during my 2 hours of googleing, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks

Frank

Thursday, September 22, 2005 10:00 AM

All replies

• User-1138130687 posted
    Frank exactly i not have a solution in mind, boot one good way can be the BITS service http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/bits/bits/bits_start_page.asp  that is was you looking for, i think ....
    Thursday, September 22, 2005 2:53 PM
  • User367204806 posted

I'd come accross that reference before, just didnt know what it would be used for. (could be used for).

Can it be used on a webserver to open up a windows file transfer manager (like?) application (preferably something already made).

Basically just want to pass something client side that will do 2 things, one, resume and/or queue downloads for a user, and two, keep the user (at least the script kiddie ones) from being able to leech the file with a download accelerator and chew up a 100Mb of bandwidth for one file.

Thursday, September 22, 2005 3:49 PM
  • User989702501 posted
    AFAIK, Microsoft File transfer manager is available for usage only, not official document released on how to utilize it. it's a client tool not a component that you can use. Probably you can achieve what you want using an isapi, try to post this to the isapi public newsgroups.
    Monday, September 26, 2005 12:55 AM
  • User367204806 posted

Odd, then why even bother showing it on msdn?  Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll take a look at that as well.

Frank

Monday, September 26, 2005 8:10 AM