none
Access an Outlook 2013 Mail App through Code RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys,

I have a requirement where-in I want an installed Outlook 2013 mail app to be opened when clicking on a custom ribbon button

My Approach is as follows:
    1. Create Outlook Add-in Project
    2. Add a Ribbon Project (Visual Designer) to the Add-in Project  and add a button on the Ribbon
    3. Retrieve the selected Mail Item
    4. When the user clicks on the Ribbon, access the app bar and invoke the app for the selected Mail Item

I am stuck on #4.

I have two questions:

1. Is this possible? i.e. Can we invoke an office 2013 mail app when we click a Ribbon button?

2. If the Answer to #1 is yes, How can I do this using code(C# code in the add-in) ?

Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Guys,

I have a requirement where-in I want an installed Outlook 2013 mail app to be opened when clicking on a custom ribbon button

My Approach is as follows:
    1. Create Outlook Add-in Project
    2. Add a Ribbon Project (Visual Designer) to the Add-in Project  and add a button on the Ribbon
    3. Retrieve the selected Mail Item
    4. When the user clicks on the Ribbon, access the app bar and invoke the app for the selected Mail Item

I am stuck on #4.

I have two questions:

1. Is this possible? i.e. Can we invoke an office 2013 mail app when we click a Ribbon button?

2. If the Answer to #1 is yes, How can I do this using code(C# code in the add-in) ?

Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:08 PM
  • Jonathan,

The Outlook object model doesn't provide any property or method for accessing Apps. Also I'd recommend asking your question in the Developing Apps for Office 2013 forum.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:57 PM
  • Thanks for the insight Eugene,

Will check on the other forum.

Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:28 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

As Eugene mentioned, you cannot access the app bar using the Outlook object model (OOM). I suggest that you enter the needs in your scenario in User Voice. Thank you for your continued support!

Angelgolfer

Senior Content Developer

Friday, June 20, 2014 9:55 PM
    Answerer