Saving logs to mapped drive - Not Working! RRS feed

• Question

• User-1980972266 posted

I'm in a situation where graceful shutdowns are not allwoing enough time to upload logs to our storage location. My thought was to have the logs be written directly to an intermediary network share and have a service process those each night.

I am able to successfuly create the network share location and copy/edit files frmo the IIS server to to that new location, but when I set Advanced Logging to point to that mapped drive to create logs, no logs appear. Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Thursday, January 23, 2014 3:44 PM

All replies

• User690216013 posted

Did you use mapped drives or UNC paths? If the former, you will have to swtich,

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/257174

Monday, January 27, 2014 11:45 PM
  • User-1980972266 posted

I have tried mapped drives as well as just placing the UNC path directly into the log directory target dialogue. Both resulted in no logs being written at all. UNC path was \\<ip address>\<folder name> --- the path came up in explorer just fine.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 7:44 AM
  • User-2064283741 posted

I haven't done this but I imagine you will certain permissions to write to the network drive.

Drill down with Proc Mon to see what is happening.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:07 PM
  • User-1980972266 posted

I'll take a look when I get onto the ofice. Thanks!

What user accont does IIS Advanced Logs use to run its buisness? I was fairly certain I had the network share open to read/write from everyone for testing, but knowing the user in use could be helpful.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:14 PM
  • User-1980972266 posted

I imagine this is my problem:

The target location (network share) has full read/write permissions to 'Everyone'.

I can even navigate to that location on the IIS server without any credentials and make/delete files just fine. 

Monday, February 3, 2014 10:06 PM