none
How can I protect word-document from printing RRS feed

Answers

• Hi shaahs

You're looking in the right direction, but...

What you require is Information Rights Management (IRM). You need to search that on the Microsoft site, in relation to Office, to find out what all the requirements are to support IRM.

Only once you've researched the topic thoroughly, then worked with it in the UI so that you understand how it works, should you try to implement it in the object model. And the environment in which your program runs must fully support IRM or it cannot work.

In the object model help on the Permission object we find the reason for the error you're receiving:

"Use of the Permission object raises an error when the Windows Rights Management client is not installed."

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:28 PM

All replies

• Hi shaahs,

The answer is basically the same as I gave you to the cut/copy/paste question in your other thread - you can't effectively protect a Word document from these things.

If you need that level of protection, use a protected PDF.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:19 AM
  • I have used the following code  to customize permission

Word.Document doc = Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument;
               doc.Permission.Enabled = true;
                doc.Permission.RemoveAll();
                doc.Permission.Add("user", Microsoft.Office.Core.MsoPermission.msoPermissionView, Type.Missing);

but which got an error while execution the line 'doc.Permission.Enabled=true' that,

"The method or operation is not implemented."

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 11:28 AM
  • Once you give someone access to a document you have lost all control over it.

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"shaahs" wrote in message news:7fdc3cdf-b373-46e0-aa6d-a56f2f79b5e8@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have used the following code  to customize permission

Word.Document doc = Globals.ThisAddIn.Application.ActiveDocument;
               doc.Permission.Enabled = true;
                doc.Permission.RemoveAll();
                doc.Permission.Add("user", Microsoft.Office.Core.MsoPermission.msoPermissionView, Type.Missing);

but which got an error while execution the line 'doc.Permission.Enabled=true' that,

"The method or operation is not implemented."

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 11:47 AM
  • But I didn't gave this document... its a fresh document

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 11:49 AM
  • Hi shaahs

You're looking in the right direction, but...

What you require is Information Rights Management (IRM). You need to search that on the Microsoft site, in relation to Office, to find out what all the requirements are to support IRM.

Only once you've researched the topic thoroughly, then worked with it in the UI so that you understand how it works, should you try to implement it in the object model. And the environment in which your program runs must fully support IRM or it cannot work.

In the object model help on the Permission object we find the reason for the error you're receiving:

"Use of the Permission object raises an error when the Windows Rights Management client is not installed."

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:28 PM