none
Project Dropdown Options Are Disapearing.

Question

• Hi Again Folks:

Developing in Windows 10 Pro, VS 2015 Community, all C++, Win32 no MFC.

Visual Studio 2015 Community has learned a new trick today. 

When I created a Windows application project I could press "Project" on the VS menu bar and drop down some options. 

Today, after a "Save All" I created another project. 

When I came back to the first project the Project menu had only 3 choices.  I could no longer add items or resources, or look at the project's properties.

I tried some different things, and after opening the project again I lost another option from the Project menu drop down. 

In desperation, I shut down VS, logged out my account and restarted the computer.  The problem's still there. 

I've wiped the first project out and created a new one by the same name, in case I did something weird.  The new project does the same thing.  

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
          Larry

Friday, December 16, 2016 6:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Larry,

I found when the mouse select/click different object under Solution Explorer, and click the Project, the dropdown list is different like the following, could you please have a look at the Solution Explorer or share the screenshot in here?

If the same item is selected before you press Project, you can try to logout and reproduce this issue again, it can help us to avoid the possibility of the account. Then try to create other project type like C# to check this issue, to check if this issue is only relating to the C++ or all project types.

If all project types have this issue, please have a try with the following to troubleshot this issue:

1. Run the VS with safe mode:  open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run these commands: devenv.exe /safemode
    2. Reset the default settings: go to Tools---Import and Export Settings… and backup the current setting and reset it to the default setting
    3. Run the VS as administrator: to excludes the permission issue
    4. Please go to Tools-Extensions and updates and install all pending updates under Update tab

After each step, please reopen VS and check this issue again.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by a_unique_name Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:09 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 6:09 AM

All replies

• I haven't got a clue.

But I noticed that VS wants you to sign into your account.  So sign in as requested just in case that makes a difference.

Friday, December 16, 2016 6:28 PM
  • Thanks Again RLWA:

I resolved the account issue and created yet another project:

I dream of a friendly and productive Unix development environment like Solaris I once enjoyed has. 

I have a commitment to clients that lock me to this soul crushing Windows world.  I dream of leaving it behind but I need to have a tool that would let me finish a couple of projects, and Visual Studio doesn't seem to provide what I need. 

I wonder if Android's development is as nice as Solaris tools are. 

Thanks Again RLWA
        Larry

Friday, December 16, 2016 7:29 PM
  • You could try the brute force method -- https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241273.aspx
    Friday, December 16, 2016 7:44 PM
  • Hi a_unique_name,

thanks for posting here.

This forum is about c++ development. For your case, I will move your case to vs general forum for better support.

Your understanding and cooperation will be grateful.

Best Regards,
    Sera Yu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 19, 2016 3:22 AM
  • Hi Larry,

I found when the mouse select/click different object under Solution Explorer, and click the Project, the dropdown list is different like the following, could you please have a look at the Solution Explorer or share the screenshot in here?

If the same item is selected before you press Project, you can try to logout and reproduce this issue again, it can help us to avoid the possibility of the account. Then try to create other project type like C# to check this issue, to check if this issue is only relating to the C++ or all project types.

If all project types have this issue, please have a try with the following to troubleshot this issue:

1. Run the VS with safe mode:  open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run these commands: devenv.exe /safemode
    2. Reset the default settings: go to Tools---Import and Export Settings… and backup the current setting and reset it to the default setting
    3. Run the VS as administrator: to excludes the permission issue
    4. Please go to Tools-Extensions and updates and install all pending updates under Update tab

After each step, please reopen VS and check this issue again.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by a_unique_name Thursday, December 22, 2016 10:09 PM
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016 6:09 AM
  • Thanks Sara:

I can build other projects without a problem. 

To refresh, here is the Project drop down upon starting:

After bringing up Solution Explorer:

That doesn't result in a full Project's drop down menu, but it offers what I need to move forward. 

Selecting the Solution Explorer's empty Source File item brings up the full Projects drop down menu. 

It never occurred to me that I'm have to pop the Solution Explorer window on a brand new, empty, project in order to add source, header and resources to it. 

As for my rant, I think I'll leave it. 

I recently spent a week and a half trying to get shell item code ,functions like SHCreateItemFromParsingName(), to accept long path names prefixed with "\\?\".  That doesn't work because shell item functions aren't based on Win 32 and won't work with that convention. 

How can I know things like this before wasting hours, days, or even weeks trying to get simple things working?

I define a C++ function and format it's argument list, with leading tabs, the way I find easy to read and understand.  When I cut and paste those lines into a header file for the function's declaration the tabs are all compressed into a single tab and I have to re-insert them. 

This only takes a few seconds, but it's a few seconds I have to spend each time I do a task that should only take a second. 

Over a decade I believe I've probably lost months, at least, fighting this hostile development environment. 

Anyway Sara, I do appreciate your assistance.  I don't know how I'd get anything done without the people who offer advice on this forum. 

Thanks
          Larry

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 10:03 PM
  • Hi Larry,

Thank you for your update and it looks like now you can get the required options under Project to move forward.

>>It never occurred to me that I'm have to pop the Solution Explorer window on a brand new, empty, project in order to add source, header and resources to it. 

I found the Solution Explorer not disappear as default at the right panel of the VS screen, you can right click the top of this float screen and move it to the center of the VS screen, there is a layout designer display and you can move the float screen to the right side like the following, which can make the Solution Explorer locates at the right panel of the whole VS screen, for more information, please have a look at Customizing windows layout in VS.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 7:43 AM