none
[U8.1] Revoked Channel URL - Push notifications failing.

Question

• So I keep running into this issue and I have now found a way to reproduce it.

My server keeps getting into a state whereby when it sends a notification to a devices I gets the following response.

null : [HTTP/1.1 410 Gone]
    Strict-Transport-Security : [max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains]
    X-WNS-ERROR-DESCRIPTION : [Revoked channel URL]
    X-WNS-DEBUG-TRACE : [DB5SCH101122019]
    X-WNS-STATUS : [revoked]
    X-WNS-MSG-ID : [74B62070755830A0]
    X-WNS-NOTIFICATIONSTATUS : [revoked]
    X-WNS-DEVICECONNECTIONSTATUS : [connected]
    Content-Length : [0]
    Date : [Thu, 30 Jun 2016 09:00:45 GMT]

The specs suggest that a channel should only expire after 30 days, however this channel had only just been created.

Repro Steps

1. App sends new channel URI to the server.
    2. Server sends a push notification using channel to the device (device receives it).
    3. Put the device (Windows Phone 8.1) into flight mode.
    4. Server sends a push notification using channel. (Server gets a success response from WNS service, device obviously does not receive the notification.)
    5. Bring device out of flight mode. (Observe no notification received. 15 minute wait).
    6. Server sends a push notification to the channel. (Above error returned from WNS service.

Can anyone give me any idea as to why this happening and a way to get around this?

Thursday, June 30, 2016 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi Nervecentre Software,

I have checked that response message which you have posted. Based on that error message, I could only tell you that this issue was due to your cloud service attempts to deliver a notification to an expired channel, WNS will return response code 410.

We do not guarantee that the notification channel URI for an app will always remain the same. We advise that the app requests a new channel every time it runs and updates its service when the URI changes.

So I want to know whether you could push notification successfully when you request a new channel.

You would also need to note that if you're uninstalling and reinstalling your Win 8 app (the Debug option in Visual Studio), in this case, your site would report a revoked URI.

Best Regards,

Xavier Eoro

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, July 1, 2016 6:48 AM
  • @Xavier

Thanks for your response. Yes, if I send a new channel it does start working again.

I understand that the channel can be revoked, however this channel was sent to the cloud service less then 30 minutes before it was being revoked. The application on the device was in the background (suspended), so relies on push notifications to "wake up", pull a small amount of data from the server to display to the user.

If I'm understanding the documentation correctly, there is no way to know if a channel has been revoked or expired on the client side, other then the fact it only lasts 30 days. The app sends a new channel to cloud service every time it starts, if it's been tombstoned by the system  it will request and send new one. Can you inform me of any other reasons that a channel would get revoked? This is happening regularly and disrupting the service we provide to our customers.

If it is something that is wrong with the design of our app, we need to diagnose and fix it as soon as possible

Friday, July 1, 2016 7:15 AM
  • Hi Nervecentre Software,

Sorry for my late reply.

Because I spent some time to create a windows phone 8.1 and UWP project to try to reproduce your issue. I have debugged my app in real device (windows 10 mobile 10586, 14366), and I followed your steps to do it, but I have not faced this issue.

For the moment, because I have no windows phone 8.1 device to test. I’m not sure if this issue would occur in windows phone 8.1 OS.

Here, I think this issue might be special for your device (or other tings). The support ticket would be a good way to solve your problem.

And I know that there’re several free support tickets for per account.

So I suggest that you could contact our paid phone support at http://support.microsoft.com. You will get 1:1 support on that. Please kindly note that your support ticket will be free if it is Microsoft's issue.

In addition, X-WNS-Debug-Trace together with the X-WNS-Msg-ID header is required when reporting an issue to WNS.

Best Regards,

Xavier Eoro

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 9:19 AM
  • When you say "And I know that there’re several free support tickets for per account", which account are you referring to?
    Tuesday, July 5, 2016 9:28 AM
  • @Nervecentre Software

You could use developer account to create that support ticket.

Friday, July 8, 2016 2:15 AM