none
Azure File Storage GA broke preview storage account

Question

• When I tried connecting to our file storage account today the auzre VM froze and explorer.exe crashed. This would happen everytime we tried to use a mounted file share. The fileshare was a file preview service from azure storage. Currently the files are unreachable. We have tried viewing them on the preview portal as well as trying to access them through several different VM's. We also tried copying some files down to our local machine through AZCopy. When we did it returned an 500 Internal Service Error. We have been using file storage since early August without a problem. We have about 4 terabytes of storage that this happened to. We haven't touched the file storage since early last month so it wasn't anything we have recently done.

We tried generating a new account and that worked fine. What would be the best way to try and recovery the 4 terabytes of data that I can't seem to access after the update.

With the 500 internal server error it also showed a requestid: efe5add6-001a-008b-50ce-fbaac3000000.

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 11:00 PM

Answers

• somehow my previous reply seems lost

Hi Grant

I am sorry to hear you have issue to connect your file share.

Are you saying now you can't mount the file share from any VM and when using AzCopy it returns 500 internal error?

Can you send me your storage account name (just name, no key needed) and the file share names so that we can check.

Btw, did you re-generate your storage account key recently?

- Jason Tang | Jutang@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 1, 2015 7:31 PM

All replies

• Can you try to connect to your file share using poweshell.

Look at this thread since the user encountered a similar issue related to the Azure File Storage GA.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ec29dcfb-0824-49a5-8edb-24ff838351d1/cant-connect-to-azure-file-storage-using-net-use-command-system-error-2148073478?forum=windowsazuredata

Regards, Samir Farhat || Datacenter Consultant || The way to share my knowledge with the community Visit my blog : buildwindows.wordpress.com

Thursday, October 1, 2015 9:07 AM
  • Yes I saw that thread yesterday and we tried that before posting to this thread. We tried turning off Secure Negotiate and then restarting the machine. We restarted the machine a lot yesterday hoping it would solve the problem, but we didn't have any luck. We have about 6 machines connected to two different file shares and the problem is on each and every one of them. Our current setup is that we have our dev and production environment in which we have two fileshares (one for each environment). Two terabytes each (one local redundant and one geo redundant). The 3 dev machines connect to the local redundant file share and the 3 production machines connect to the production file share. Both environments have their own virtual network and nothing from one environment can touch anything from the other and this problem happened to both environments at the same time roughly around the time when the file share became publicly available instead of just preview mode.

Yesterday evening for about 5 minutes we were able to connect to the fileshares through the portal and on one of the machines we saw that all our data was there, however after a few minutes it went back to its previous behavior where accessing the list of directories in the fileshare times out, returning an internal server error (500), with the message that the service could not complete the request in the allotted time.

Thursday, October 1, 2015 4:44 PM
  • somehow my previous reply seems lost

Hi Grant

I am sorry to hear you have issue to connect your file share.

Are you saying now you can't mount the file share from any VM and when using AzCopy it returns 500 internal error?

Can you send me your storage account name (just name, no key needed) and the file share names so that we can check.

Btw, did you re-generate your storage account key recently?

- Jason Tang | Jutang@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 1, 2015 7:31 PM
  • We tried regenerating one of the keys on the dev filestore but not production after we started having troubles and it didn't help. The production filestore just started working again a couple of minutes ago. We didn't do anything it just started working again. The dev filestore still isn't working.

The account name is icordsgeoprod and icordsgeodevtest. We also have one called icordsgeoit that isn't working but that filestore doesn't have much data and the data there is just program install files.

Thanks for the quick follow up Jason

Thursday, October 1, 2015 8:22 PM
  • Hi Grant

We see all of your accounts are functioning well, can you confirm if you see all of them are working as expected now?

- Jason

Thursday, October 1, 2015 10:52 PM
  • Everything seems to be connecting again. Thanks for all the help.

The new feature on the portal where you can view your fileshares is working on all of them except icordsgeoit but i can view those files using another program so I'm happy. 

Thanks
    -Grant

Thursday, October 1, 2015 11:32 PM