none
unattend.xml and Unbranded boot <> No keyboard and mouse on Personalize screen RRS feed

• Question

• I have a bootable Windows 8.1 Industry Pro USB installation thumb drive that works great.

I use Windows SIM to create unattend.xml based on the following:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn609858(v=winembedded.82).aspx

I add the autoattend.xml to the root of the USB drive and reboot to take me through the install.  Things go great until I get to the Personalize screen.  At this point keyboard and mouse do not work. I am not using the USB filter....

Has anyone ran into this?  Even adding a real PS/2 board (no USB / PS/2 adapter) did not help...

Friday, August 7, 2015 1:17 AM

All replies

• Someone other and also me had similar troubles with Windows Embedded 8 Standard. I my case it was required to add device drivers for USB keyboard, USB mouse, ets. to the answer file - see this post for details.

As mentoined before, this was the solution for WE8S. I'm not familiar with 8.1 Industry/SIM, but maybe there is something similar you can do in SIM.

Friday, August 7, 2015 7:02 AM
  • WE 8.1 Industry is not componentized so all the drivers are present in the image. What happens if you install WE 8.1 Industry without autoattend file? Or try installing Windows 8.1?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, August 7, 2015 2:36 PM
  • Without the autoattend file everything works great.  I have 10-20 installs without autoattend on the same machine with success.  And even now going back to a clean image works...

Last night I went back to a clean image and a fresh HD and it worked and then went through with autoattend and saw the same behavior.  

Friday, August 7, 2015 4:24 PM
  • This is resolved.  I went through the XAML by hand instead of using Windows SIM and sure enough the USB block was in there...  I removed it and it works great.  Thanks everyone.  User error...
    Friday, August 7, 2015 8:51 PM
  • USB block? as in USB filter?

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Saturday, August 8, 2015 2:58 AM
  • Yes,

As soon as the USB filter is in the autoattend all USB devices are disabled before you can use them to finish setup...  There is a setting to allow attached devices.  I will need to add that once I try and get the USB filter working...  

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:34 AM