Should I learn to program? RRS feed

• Question

• I am interested in programming, but I am a beginner. Basically I am curious as to the advantages of being able to program for someone who may not want to do it for a living.
    Thursday, December 14, 2006 8:53 AM

Answers

• Programming is actually not as hard as people would believe it to be.

This said, I think you should try take it up, because it's quite enjoyable creating something that noone else has created, and designing it's own logic.

When you finish your first Hello World even, you will love the feeling you get from creating something, even though it's not something physical, it's still something that you made yourself :)

Why not try it in your spare time?

Follow the link to my book, the first chapter is free :) Sorry for the advertising, but it may help out.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 9:56 AM
  • Hi and welcome.

Programming is a creative process that exercises your problem solving abilities. Like anything you have to try it to see if you like it.

Some resource / webcast / sample applications to help you out:

ASP.NET 2.0: http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/

Winforms: http://www.windowsforms.net/ and http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/winforms

The online MSDN Developer's Guide for Windows Form Applications is also indispensible:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms644558.aspx

If you let us know what kind of programming you want to do we'll be able to help you further (web, game, windows app).

Regards,
    Charles

Friday, December 15, 2006 2:57 AM
  • The simple question is,

Do you want to learn to write software and develop programs to do things on the computer  OR do you just want to use software that someone else has writen.

If you want to try writing software to do some simple tasks - then by all means watch the learning webcasts, pick up a book or two install the software and give it a try.    If you dont like it, then you dont have to do it.

Doing stuff for a living is one type of developer, there are many  people out there that do things because its fun, a challenge or simply an exercise to keep the brain active.      I do many things for fun, not because I have to do them to earn money to live.

Friday, December 15, 2006 3:19 AM

All replies

• Programming is actually not as hard as people would believe it to be.

This said, I think you should try take it up, because it's quite enjoyable creating something that noone else has created, and designing it's own logic.

When you finish your first Hello World even, you will love the feeling you get from creating something, even though it's not something physical, it's still something that you made yourself :)

Why not try it in your spare time?

Follow the link to my book, the first chapter is free :) Sorry for the advertising, but it may help out.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 9:56 AM
  • Hi and welcome.

Programming is a creative process that exercises your problem solving abilities. Like anything you have to try it to see if you like it.

Some resource / webcast / sample applications to help you out:

ASP.NET 2.0: http://quickstarts.asp.net/QuickStartv20/aspnet/

Winforms: http://www.windowsforms.net/ and http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/winforms

The online MSDN Developer's Guide for Windows Form Applications is also indispensible:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms644558.aspx

If you let us know what kind of programming you want to do we'll be able to help you further (web, game, windows app).

Regards,
    Charles

Friday, December 15, 2006 2:57 AM
  • The simple question is,

Do you want to learn to write software and develop programs to do things on the computer  OR do you just want to use software that someone else has writen.

If you want to try writing software to do some simple tasks - then by all means watch the learning webcasts, pick up a book or two install the software and give it a try.    If you dont like it, then you dont have to do it.

Doing stuff for a living is one type of developer, there are many  people out there that do things because its fun, a challenge or simply an exercise to keep the brain active.      I do many things for fun, not because I have to do them to earn money to live.

Friday, December 15, 2006 3:19 AM
  • Warning! The Other Side of Programming...

Okay - so here's a few thoughts for you to consider from an ol' programmer (started back in the grand ol' year of 1980

• Programming won't let you 'keep' it as a mere acquainance. It will demand more and more of your life if you like it. If you don't you'll never have a break-through moment when all the bits come together.
    • You will find yourself walking through life trying to live life in a logical and yes, ordered pattern. Boolean logic will corrupt your very way of life. Everything in your life will require mental coding.
      • "Am I hungry? Yes - Eat.
        • Do I have anything to eat? No.
          • Where can I get something to eat? Mickey D's."
    • Next thing you know you're standing at Mikey D's visualizing the electrons flowing around and through the building all at the speed of light just so you can get your Big Mac, fries and shake. Ain't life wunderful?
    • You WILL become a bit Spock-like as you discover the depths to which programming and life are at odds with each other; until one day you discover they really are two pages in the same book.
    • Repeat after me - "goto is bad, goto is bad, goto is bad."
    • Oh dear friend, embrace the light! The bits, the bytes, omg the terrabytes! Storage is cheap and time is money - gotta code, gotta code, gotta code!
      • If you think video-gaming takes time... wait till you start rooting through the Internet to discover how-to articles, programming tips & tricks... understanding the holistic, system approach, every geek-term you've ever heard of plus more to the power of 8 :-)

It IS very satisfying tho to step back from a completed application - provided you POR (Press On Regardless - and are they EVER completed or simply in a wait state for the next 'Oh wouldn't it be nice if' change request comes along) to present your new baby to friends, families and even co-workers.

And even IF they were involved with you every step of the way prepare yourself - because the big hammers will be brought out as they pound the living h**l out of your brand new baby, trying, trying, trying to break it. 'But they all liked it so much' you think as you swoon from all the bits lying on the floor...

Ah... let me tell you - its a great life... just avoid the Boolean Life Trap (sounds like a sci-fi to me!), try not to be too recursive and be sure you're normal to at least the third form. :-) and you'll have a great time. In fact, you might step back from the keyboard in oh, ten years amazed, as you look at yourself in the mirror and say, "My gawd - I've been heads-down for TEN YEARS?"

Seriously - do it if for no other reason than to humble one's self - I did - and it sure worked for me, right? :-P

Friday, December 15, 2006 5:50 AM
    • Whoa rarr, thats a bit hectic. I don't think that ever happened to me! Well, maybe it did. Can't remember now!
      Friday, December 15, 2006 9:48 AM
    • Thanks for the absolutely great links  They helped me a lot at a point where I was just at the door looking in

wbntravis

: )

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:48 AM
    •  robertmundinger wrote:
      I am interested in programming, but I am a beginner. Basically I am curious as to the advantages of being able to program for someone who may not want to do it for a living.

I'm a beginner too and it's hard to program at the beginning because you need to learn how all these functions etc work. After a while you get familier to the programing world and learn how the program works and then you think about all these simple looking programs all around you which are aren't that simple at all.

I would not recommend you to go directly to C, C# or C++ it made me almost give up on programing...

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 2:49 PM
    • You will find yourself walking through life trying to live life in a logical and yes, ordered pattern. Boolean logic will corrupt your very way of life. Everything in your life will require mental coding.
      • "Am I hungry? Yes - Eat.
        • Do I have anything to eat? No.
          • Where can I get something to eat? Mickey D's."
    • Next thing you know you're standing at Mikey D's visualizing the electrons flowing around and through the building all at the speed of light just so you can get your Big Mac, fries and shake. Ain't life wunderful?
    • You WILL become a bit Spock-like as you discover the depths to which programming and life are at odds with each other; until one day you discover they really are two pages in the same book.
    • Repeat after me - "goto is bad, goto is bad, goto is bad." 

Men tend to universalize their experiences to everyone.  in no way does this describe my internal life and I've been programming for a very long time.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:11 PM
  •  robertmundinger wrote:
    I am interested in programming, but I am a beginner. Basically I am curious as to the advantages of being able to program for someone who may not want to do it for a living.

When I started I wrote simple games on a Sinclair ZX81 and I've always found that to be a good starting point. The advantage is that you get to play the games.

Friday, February 15, 2008 1:11 PM
  • I know exactly what you mean dude, I'm a beginner aswell and I don't have any plans to do it as a living, I do it for fun and because it's rather awesome to be able to create your own applications. I think if you are interested in it, then you should buy a book for dummies and go from there. Once you have gotten past that bit where you have downloaded the software and then had no idea what to do with it, things get easier.... or at least they should do, but I find programming's full of small if not frustrating challenges Smile
    Friday, February 15, 2008 6:22 PM