none
Detect "Grip" state RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

At the moment I am trying to create an application which would allow to control a map with hand movements. It was quite easy to do with the first version of Kinect, but now I am trying to use the second one.

The idea is pretty easy: When the hand on the screen is in "grip" mode, start performing panning of a map. 

As far as I understand in kinect v2 there is no way to get current hand pointer (its coordinates, state) from Kinect Region. I have to use KinectCoreWindow event, and from that I got Kinectpointerpoint object. However,  I can basically get only coordinates of a hand pointer, which is a good thing, but there is no way I can get state of the hand: whether its in grip/pressed mode etc..

I dont understand whats the reason for such different API. Everything was so clean and simple in the version version of kinect...

Could anybody explain me how to get a current state of the hand? It would be highly appreciated !

Thank you very much!

Saturday, May 23, 2015 1:57 PM

Answers

• You can access hand states from hand joints in body frames. Anyway, pan and zoom gestures are already built in for the ScrollViewer component. You can test it in the ControlBasics-WPF sample (zoomable photo screen).
    Monday, May 25, 2015 8:25 AM

All replies

• You can access hand states from hand joints in body frames. Anyway, pan and zoom gestures are already built in for the ScrollViewer component. You can test it in the ControlBasics-WPF sample (zoomable photo screen).
    Monday, May 25, 2015 8:25 AM
  • review the control basics sample to see how to use the Interactions components within your own WPF sample.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 5:33 PM