none
Windbg is not opening after setting it as default debugger RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have configured windbg as default debugger. Upon crashing windbg is not opening automatically. However, I see in the TaskManager there is WerFault.exe launched along with the Windbg.  Below is the TaskManager screen shot. How can I make the windbg to open automatically with a process crash?

TaskManager Screenshot

Monday, January 4, 2016 8:00 PM

All replies

• Ah, I see, Windbg 10.0.10041.3 AMD64 (also cdb) as a postmortem on Win 10 has some serious problems. For me 4 instances of windbg are starting, but obviously unable to attach:

# for hex 0xc000010a / decimal -1073741558 :
      STATUS_PROCESS_IS_TERMINATING                                 ntstatus.h
    # An attempt was made to duplicate an object handle into or
    # out of an exiting process.
    A Windbg 6.3.9600.15394 AMD64 (WDK 8.1?) seems to work.

With kind regards

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 12:30 PM
  • I tried with windbg 6.3.9600.17298 and the Operating system is WindowsServer 2012. The symptom remain the same.  Windbg is seen in the TaskManager but there is no pop-up. Please note that the process is running as a service. When I launch an application that crashes, windbg is getting launched and there is a pop-up.

Jai

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 5:34 PM
  • services run in their own session (0) and on their own desktop, you will never see the windbgs debugging those services. one way is for the debugger to remote out a debug session and then you can connect to it from the logged in desktop

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 6:09 PM
  • As you mentioned it is getting launched on the Session 0. Can you provide the details on how the debugger to remote out a debug session?

Jai

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 10:37 PM
  • On Vista something like this works:

Starting windbg as admin, waiting for an connection to cdb-server, which starts in case of exception:

windbg.exe -remote tcp:clicon=localhost,Port=9999

Start service.

Modifying registry incorrectly may lead to very serious problems - standard warnings apply about registry key settings
    No warranty
    With kind regards

Thursday, January 7, 2016 4:01 AM
  • Will try it out. Thank you. 

Jai

Thursday, January 7, 2016 3:00 PM