none
In office 2013, the delete button in the ribbon menu with X and delete with a small symbol x with every mail, do they have a control name or a handler associated with it? RRS feed

• Question

• i have downloaded the Office2013FluentUserInterfaceControlIdentifiers.I am unable to find the handler or the control name for this delete with a small symbol X attahed to every mail in the mail list.  Can you please help me out with this?
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 10:23 AM

All replies

• Hello Anusha,

The list of control IDs contains names for the ribbon controls only. And unfortunately not all control IDs were published for using by developers. 

What is your final goal? 

BTW You may consider handling the BeforeItemMove event of the Folder class which is fired when an item is about to be moved or deleted from a folder, either as a result of user action or through program code. 

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:36 PM
  • Hi anusha.hv,

From your description of the thread I did not understand clearly what you want to do actually.

do you want to add button in ribbon with text "X" or add this button to each mail and when you click it do you want to delete the selected mail?

if I misunderstand something then let me know about that and correct me.

so that we can try to help you.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:15 AM
  • I am talking about the existing delete button in ribbon menu and delete assosciated with each mail in 2013. I need the control Id or the handler for this.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2017 5:36 AM
  • Hi anusha.hv,

I understand from your last post that you want control id of delete button in the ribbon.

in Office2013FluentUserInterfaceControlIdentifiers please open "Outlook mail read controls " Excel file.

you will find below.

Row number 26.

Reference:

Outlook2013 What's the control Id for New and Delete

Office 2013 Help Files: Office Fluent User Interface Control Identifiers

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 5, 2017 6:21 AM
  • tried to use this. but in vain. can u please give me an example how we can use this handler to do a custom delete ?
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:39 AM
  • Hi anusha.hv,

if you know the control id and using that want to delete a mail.

but then also how will you decide that which mail to delete.

I think you need to rethink about your logic.

instead of control id you need to use Delete method and using folders.items you can select specific mail to delete.

The Delete method deletes a single item in a collection. To delete all items in the Items collection of a folder, you must delete each item starting with the last item in the folder. For example, in the items collection of a folder, AllItems, if there are n number of items in the folder, start deleting the item at AllItems.Item(n), decrementing the index each time until you delete AllItems.Item(1).

The Delete method moves the item from the containing folder to the Deleted Items folder. If the containing folder is the Deleted Items folder, the Delete method removes the item permanently.

Reference:

MailItem.Delete Method (Outlook)

Folder.Items Property (Outlook)

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 5:39 AM