Building the unlinked files report stuck RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to view the unlinked files report, as well as the broken hyperlinks report, but when I try to see them, the screen says "Building the Unlicked Files report..." for over a half hour before I either close it or try again. When I tried yesterday and this morning, it gave the list very quickly, and I don't know what would cause the change in behavior. When I saw the reports previously, I had gone through and was fixing each issue one at a time, but didn't make much progress. Since then, something changed that's causing it to take forever. The program is still responsive if I want to do anything else, but none of the reports are working (unlinked files, hyperlinks, site summary, I've tried them all). Is there some way I can fix this, or did something  happen and it just needs a long time to rebuild the reports?

Thanks

• Edited by Cullen Casey Thursday, August 4, 2016 10:30 PM I forgot a word in the title
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 10:23 PM

All replies

• Have you added any links to external active content (videos, audio, etc.)? Sometimes such content causes delays when EW is enumerating links.

cheers.
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 10:36 PM
  • The only thing I've added so far has been updating the style sheet that it uses by changing the color of links. Besides that, I've removed a few broken links and corrected a few that were linking to a file that didn't exist. 
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 10:53 PM
  • Try re-creating the metadata for the site.  Either in Site Settings, or by using Tools-> Recalculate Hyperlinks.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Thursday, August 4, 2016 11:01 PM
  • I'm pretty new to Expression Web, so I can't find where to re-create the metadata from site settings, but I found the option to recalculate hyperlinks under tools like you said. I don't know if it had finished, but black bar at the bottom of the window that gives notifications when it's working went blank again after some time, so I checked if the report would work again and it's still stuck on the "Building the Hyperlinks report..." screen. I'm wondering if there's some sort of indication that it has finished, and hasn't found anything, and just didn't change the message that it was building the report, but the number of broken links in there this morning lead me to believe that's not the case.
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 11:20 PM
  • Site -> Site Settings. Uncheck "use metadata". Once EW has done that, re-check the box to re-create the metadata.

If that doesn't work, google for FPCleaner, get the version for the version of EW you are using (you didn't mention which version it is), and run it.  This is free, and can often reset EW's' site data and clear up problems.

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Thursday, August 4, 2016 11:57 PM
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 11:30 PM
  • I unchecked the metadata box, gave it a few minutes to make the changes, rechecked it, and tried again. I also tried running the FPCleaner for Expression Web 4 (the version I'm using) and using all of the cleanup buttons there, then hit the button to start Expression Web 4 (which caused FPCleaner to close and didn't open Expression Web), then opened it manually, still no luck. Even uninstalled and reinstalled. Starting to look like I might be out of luck. 
    Friday, August 5, 2016 5:26 PM
  • After I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, I uninstalled it again and downloaded Expression Web 3. This one seems to be working, so I'll keep using it. Thanks for the advice though, if something goes wrong with this one I'll try that all again. 
    Friday, August 5, 2016 5:46 PM