How can I export Test Cases from TFS 2012 to Excel?! "Test Case Export to Excel" and "Test Case Extractor" don't work properly. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone, the company where I work in has upgraded the TFS 2010 into the 2012 version.

After that being done, we realized that we weren't able to export the Test Cases from TFS to excel anymore, because when it's done  the cells come in a wrong formatting. 

I already tried the "Test Case Export to Excel" (tool that we used for exporting with the TFS 2010) and the "Test Case Extractor", but none of them seems to work fine with the 2012 version.

Thanks in advance

Thursday, December 26, 2013 6:44 PM

Answers

• When the Test Cases are exported from TFS 2012 to Excel, the cells come with what I think are HTML tags.

I already searched the web and found a lot of people having the same issue. What I'm doing to resolve the problem is: I export the Test Cases to excel anyway, and then I run a macro in the excel sheet to clean all the HTML tags.

Thank you

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Kevincrewe, 

Thanks for your post.

You upgraded to TFS 2012 Update 3? 

What’s the detailed error message you received? And What’s the cells formatting in your test case work items?  

This issue only happened in that team projects which upgraded from TFS 2010?

The test cases created in the new team project(which created in your TFS 2012), can export to Excel correctly?

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 27, 2013 2:52 AM
  • Hi Kevincrewe,

Test Case Extractor might not work for TFS 2012 since it based on TFS 2010. Could you please share error you receive when you try export from MTM?

Also confirm as asked by George.

Couple more questions -

Do you want to export from MTM or from team explorer work item query result?

Thanks,
    Vivek Bansod
    Blog | MSDN | LinkedIn

Monday, December 30, 2013 9:09 AM
  • When the Test Cases are exported from TFS 2012 to Excel, the cells come with what I think are HTML tags.

I already searched the web and found a lot of people having the same issue. What I'm doing to resolve the problem is: I export the Test Cases to excel anyway, and then I run a macro in the excel sheet to clean all the HTML tags.

Thank you

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 2:05 PM
  • Please use this tool to export test cases from TFS (or MTM) into excel. It works fine with TFS 2012:

https://tfstestcaseexporttoexcel.codeplex.com/

The tool provides some really good options to the user while exporting multiple test suites.
    The user can also specify if they want the test case results to be exported. 

https://testcaseextractor.codeplex.com/documentation

You can download the tool from:https://tfstestcaseexporttoexcel.codeplex.com/releases/view/117377

Saturday, February 8, 2014 7:46 AM