none
Debugging / Build application in VS 2017

Question

• Hi all,

I hope I explain this clear.

I just started with VS 2017, before I used VS 2015. In VS 2015 I had a solution with 2 projects, just one for debugging and a setup (installer project). If I look at the references, there are some files like system.core, system.data, Microsoft.Sqlserver.smo etc. If I look in my setup (installer project) I see the same files in the detected dependencies folder. But in VS2017 I see, the same references in my project but  a lot more files in the detected dependencies folder of the setup project. Like Microsoft.visualstudio.utilities.dll, Microsoft.visualstudio.Validation.dll, Microsoft.visualstudio.Text.Data.dll and a lot more. And while debugging my project, all those files (.dll's) are copied to my debug directory. Do I need those files, or is something changed in VS2017? Do I have to change something in the Debug or Build options?

regards,

Mark

Monday, April 24, 2017 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

>>just one for debugging and a setup (installer project).

How did you create this setup project, click-once or others?

My understanding is that two projects work normally in VS2015 even if one project refer to another one.

But now you will update this solution to the VS2017 version which has different assemblies(version or others) reference. Am I right?

Not the real setup expert, but I could provide some suggestions or useful information what I know:)

Some dll files were related to the .NET Framework version, but every VS version has his own matched .NET Framework version. Like the VS2010 uses the .NET 4.0, VS2012 use the .NET 4.5 and so on.

So if you open the old VS version project with higher VS version, generally it would update the project, for example, the VS2017 will use the higher .net framework to update your project, so certain dll files were updated to the VS2017(.NET Framework 4.6.1), and then you could debug or build your app normally.

But not all projects are compatible even if most apps work normally, so maybe it is a risk, generally I will take a backup before I update the project, check it again. You could check the output or error list to get more information.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/productinfo/vs2017-compatibility-vs

Of course, if the project was compatible in VS2017, I think you could also change the .NET Framework version in your project property.

>> And while debugging my project, all those files (.dll's) are copied to my debug directory. Do I need those files, or is something changed in VS2017? Do I have to change something in the Debug or Build options?

Based on above suggestion, it would not impact the result if the project was compatible during different VS version. Actually it would be related to the copy local property for the reference files, and this feature was added from VS2015.

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1572417/the-default-setting-for-the-local-copy-of-references-is-now-true

Of course, if possible, you could test it after you take a back, if the setup project has any issue, please tell me how you create the setup app, maybe I could provide you a more appropriate setup project forum.

If I have misunderstood this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:01 AM