Best Practice - Hardware requirements for exchange test environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

I'm new to exchange and I want to have a test environment for learning, testing ,batches and updates.

In our environment we have co-existence 2010 and 2013 and I need to have a close scenario on my test environment.

I was thinking of having an isolated (not domain joined) high end workstation laptop with (quad core i7, 32GB RAM, 1T SSD) to implement the environment on it, but the management refused and replied "do it on one of the free servers within the live production environment at the Data Center"... !

I'm afraid of doing so not to corrupt the production environment with any mistake by my configuration "I'm not that exchange expert who could revert back if something wrong happened".

Is there a documented Microsoft recommendation on how to do it and where to do so to be able to send it to them ??

OR/ Could someone help with the best practice on where to have my test environment and how to set it up??

Many Thanks

Mohamed Ibrahim

Saturday, January 25, 2014 2:30 PM

All replies

• Hi

For exchange to work you will need a domain environment as exchange is heavily dependant on it. you will not be able to install exchange without it.

you can have your test box as 1 server host with 2 VMs, 1x DC and 1x Exchange VM for your testing. you dont need anything fancy.

Just my thoughts.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 5:27 PM
  • This is the simplest way to do it, while my production environment is much more complicated.

My question is where to put this environment and what is the box configuration to be able to test the whole scenario.

I'm thinking of such environment configuration, that's why I asked for the laptop with that spec's.

2 CAS

2 MBX 

2Edge

1TMG

2Clients (domain/non domain) joined

Mohamed Ibrahim

Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:49 AM
  • Experts, Any Ideas :( ????

Mohamed Ibrahim

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 12:34 PM
  • I think this may be useful:

It's their official test lab set up guide.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/15392.test-lab-guide-install-exchange-server-2013.aspx

Also, your spec should be fine as long as you run the VMs within their means.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 4:20 PM