Steps for adding second Exchange 2010 server (no DAG) RRS feed

• Question

• We have a single Exchange 2010 server with all roles. The server works fine, but seems to have a physical problem (reboots suddenly and randomly once or twice a month). The server comes up fine after the reboots. It has been decided to phase out this server (about 50 users). A second Exchange 2010 server has been installed with all roles (CAS server internal facing option on install).

What would be the steps to slowly, over the course of the next few months, move the users one by one over to the new server and eventually decommission the old one. Questions are:

1. No CAS array was made when the first server was installed, but would like to install one now. Would the CAS array command have to be run on both old and new servers? Would the CAS array have names of both servers as members?

2. The old server is the internet facing CAS. Will this server be able to forward mails to mailboxes on the new server for those users that are on the new server? Is this automatic or is some "connector" needed?

3. What are the steps to look for when the new server is made the internet facing CAS?

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:15 AM

All replies

• Hi

You can install the new server, you will need to change DNS to point to the CAS Array name for clients to connect to.

You will also need to install a 3rd party cert to access features on the server if you plan to decommission the old one.

CAS Array:

http://exchangeserverpro.com/how-to-install-an-exchange-server-2010-client-access-server-array/

Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:22 AM
  • Hi

You can install the new server, you will need to change DNS to point to the CAS Array name for clients to connect to.

You will also need to install a 3rd party cert to access features on the server if you plan to decommission the old one.

CAS Array:

http://exchangeserverpro.com/how-to-install-an-exchange-server-2010-client-access-server-array/

Thanks for the link.

I got the system working as I hoped for, but in an unexpected way and that I hope someone can explain:

-No NLB was installed on either server.

-A CAS array was created from the second server, which lists both servers as members. DNS host was created for this CA array and pointed to the new server. 

-Now, when a user mailbox is moved to the new server, Outlook has no problem opening the mailbox though the settings still point to the old "server name". If the profile is deleted and recreated, then Outlook shows the CAS array as the server. I have been led to believe that this would not be automatic, and working both ways?

-What is the need for NLB then? There is no redundancy outside a DAG, so how is NLB helping? And why is this working without NLB?

Thanks for any clarification.

Friday, May 30, 2014 12:27 AM