none
Windows 10 treatments for Unicode Private Use Areas RRS feed

• Question

• My work partially reply on a software uses some symbols and characters defined in the Unicode Private Use Areas (u+F800~u+F820, u+F0000 ~u+F0099).  After the recent Windows 10 upgrades, the displays of these symbols and characters are messed up significantly. I created some TTF fonts for special symbols, these fonts could be displayed in Linux/Unix environment without any issues.

In Windows 10, however, font files are installed and font names appears in applications, such as Word 2010. Symbols/Characters appear correctly in Word Symbol Insertion interface, but they just don't display correctly in the document.  

I also found that in some code range, not the PUA, the fonts are replaced with the Windows default fonts and the intended fonts simply doesn't show up. 

I searched Microsoft website and found little info about how Windows 10 treats Unicode Private Use Area.

Private Character Editor approach does not work in my case because there is a decent size coordinate effort of folks from multiple time zones. 

My question is: how to share some symbols defined in Unicode Private Area via TTF font files? 

I see a similar post but not sure the reported issue is actually solved.<o:p></o:p>

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/44aef6e4-37e3-4334-98d4-08bff9ab9f5c/how-to-prevent-font-substitution-on-some-characters-in-the-unicode-private-use-area-pua?forum=wordde

• Edited by Ip Smiles Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:21 PM
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 10:17 PM

Answers

• Hi IpSmiles,

first of all , I want to confirm with you that is your issue is a development issue or you can reproduce this issue by user interface?

from the description it looks like it is interface related issue.

this forum only handles the issues regarding development using word object model (VBA).

further I want to confirm with you that , is this issue can only reproduce with MS Word Application or you can reproduce the same issue with multiple Applications?

if you can able to reproduce the issue with multiple applications and also with non office applications then it is possible that the issue is related with Windows10 OS.

in that case , I would suggest you to post your issue on forum below.

Answer Forum.

Support Windows 10

if your issue is only related with MS Word and your issue is development issue then let me know about that.

I will try to provide you further suggestions to solve your issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ip Smiles Wednesday, June 28, 2017 6:11 PM
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 5:40 AM

All replies

• Hi IpSmiles,

first of all , I want to confirm with you that is your issue is a development issue or you can reproduce this issue by user interface?

from the description it looks like it is interface related issue.

this forum only handles the issues regarding development using word object model (VBA).

further I want to confirm with you that , is this issue can only reproduce with MS Word Application or you can reproduce the same issue with multiple Applications?

if you can able to reproduce the issue with multiple applications and also with non office applications then it is possible that the issue is related with Windows10 OS.

in that case , I would suggest you to post your issue on forum below.

Answer Forum.

Support Windows 10

if your issue is only related with MS Word and your issue is development issue then let me know about that.

I will try to provide you further suggestions to solve your issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ip Smiles Wednesday, June 28, 2017 6:11 PM
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 5:40 AM
  • Thanks a great deal, Deepak.

We have solved the problem with another colleague who created a font file which is workable. 

Thanks for your reply and helps.

Ip

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 6:14 PM
  • Hi Tom, would you be able to share how you were able to resolve this issue? I am having a similar issue. Thanks.
    Monday, July 10, 2017 9:00 PM

• My apology, Donovan, I actually don't know how he solved it. He used a professional font development tool, Fontlab Studio, created a new file for me. So I could use it without encountering the problem. I'm only a novice in font creation, just use the free software, FontForge, to do the job of modifying some of the symbols in existing fonts for my applications. 

Monday, January 15, 2018 4:10 PM