none
WEDU "Search Failed" Problem RRS feed

• Question

• WEDU has worked forever for updating my WES7 distribution shares, but all of a sudden appears to be broken. When I go into WEDU, click "Registered Products", then click "Check for Updates", after a few moments when WEDU is trying to do what it does, in the Search Activity pane all I get back is "Search Failed: HResult: 0x8024002E". Any ideas what could cause this problem?

I did some research on this error code but didn't find anything obvious / that worked to solve the problem. I uninstalled / reinstalled WEDU to no avail, even after making sure I had the latest version. One thing I noticed is that even after uninstalling / reinstalling, WEDU still had knowledge of my distribution shares (i.e. I didn't have to re-register or re-map WEDU to my DS's). Maybe that's why uninstalling / reinstalling didn't work? Because some corrupt info is being retained? Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Monday, November 11, 2013 2:47 PM

All replies

• The problem is not with WEDU , but with the distribution share. Check your distribution share for duplicate updates. Remove the duplicate updates, and re-index using IMportPackage.exe. here is an example:

ImportPackage.exe /RebuildIndex "C:\Program Files(x86)\Windows Embedded Standard 7\DSSP1"

ImportPackage.exe id found in C:\Program Files(x86)\Windows Embedded Standard 7\Tools\Image Configuration Editor>

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Monday, November 11, 2013 3:31 PM
  • Thanks for replying Sean. I was trying to keep my original post simple, so I didn't mention that there are six DS's that WEDU has registered, four of which I have not updated in some time. Two of them I've been updating whenever WEDU reported new updates were available. WEDU gives me the same error message for all 6 DS's, as well as the "Standard 7 Toolkit". I looked in the "Hotfix", "SecurityUpdate", and "Update" folders in the two DS's that I've updated within the last couple of months, and didn't see any duplicate folder names. What is the best way to search for duplicates updates?
    Monday, November 11, 2013 4:49 PM
  • The only other suggestion is to try the WEDU that comes with WE8S. This new WEDU supports both WES7 and WE8S and appears to be more stable than the original. WE8 is free to download from Microsoft.com\embedded.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 4:50 PM
  • At the risk of being considered retarded, I have to admit that I can't find a link to download WEDU 1.2 on the MS embedded site. Can you provide a more specific link?

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:33 PM
  • The new WEDU is part of WE8S tools, which you can download from here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/windows-embedded-8-standard.aspx

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 7:58 PM