Questions about Expression Studio 4 Web Professional and Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• Before I purchase this product, I needed questions to be answered with some detail and possibly some explanation of how it can be done. I'm new to using programs like these as the last program I used for web design and stuff like that was MSFrontPage 2003.

1. Can MS Expression Studio 4 Web Pro and/or Ultimate easily add subpages?
    2. Can Expression Studio 4 Web Pro and/or Ultimate help to make creating community boards/forums simpler?
    3. Would I be able to make a created forum a subpage of the homepage with Expression Studio 4 Web Pro and/or Ultimate?
    4. When making a community board/forum with Expression Studio 4 Web Pro and/or Ultimate, would I be able to feed the most recent topics of a certain category of the forum to the corresponding widget on the front page (Comment if you need me to explain this one. I'm basically asking if I'd be able to feed forum info onto the front page of my site with Expression Studio 4 Web Pro and/or Ultimate and how hard will that be to do)?
    5. Would I be able to make a sort of social feed like the one on this site: http://flavors.me/acesonnall?

-----------------------------------------

These were my main questions as I'm search for a program that will make doing these possible and simpler (to an extent).

Thanks guys

Sunday, June 10, 2012 10:04 PM

All replies

• EW is a site design tool.  It does not create forums. (Nor should you: they are extremely difficult to code from scratch to be secure from spamming, even for an expert.  Use an existing one.)

I have no idea what your definition of subpage is, so can't answer that.

Regardless: If you have questions about the programs, try them.  MS offers free trials.

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, June 10, 2012 10:54 PM
    Sunday, June 10, 2012 10:48 PM
  • You don't want to write a BBS yourself. Get a BBS from a third party source.  See this link for reviews: http://www.forum-software.org/

I use the Invision Power Board (IP.Board) on two sites and it works well for me.

You do not want to use the code from this EW message board even if you can get it for free. It sucks.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 10:54 PM
  • Let's say I wanted a forum like this: http://www.ign.com/boards/

How would I go about getting that?

As for what I meant by subpage, I meant something like www.acesonnall.com/boards (For a forum type of thing)

Thanks for the responses, they have helped.

• Edited by Acesonnall Sunday, June 10, 2012 11:00 PM
    Sunday, June 10, 2012 10:59 PM
  • You follow TB's link and look at the various forum software.  Or your own search. Which you choose is not an EW question, but entirely up to you.

The link you provided when answering the subpage question doesn't connect to anything.  Regardless:  EW is for creating HTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP/asp.net pages.  It's up to you to learn how to do what you want to do with the tool.

• Edited by KathyW2 Sunday, June 10, 2012 11:08 PM
    Sunday, June 10, 2012 11:07 PM
  • Expression Web is not a drag-and-drop web builder (unlike Flavors, which was used to make that godawful Acesonnall site).  EW is a professional-level website design tool (similar in target-user and scope to Dreamweaver).

You'll have to learn HTML, CSS, and whatever other language is used by the features you want to add to the site (i.e.: PHP or ASP.NET for the forum software (nobody builds their own forum software--just consider the security aspects that you'll have to account for)).

Add sub pages? Sure, that's as basic to web design as adding a page is to Word or Publisher. EW goes far, far beyond that. You have your choice of either DWTs or aspx Master Pages to control the common-content.

Social feed like on Acesonnall? I didn't see one there, so I have no idea what you're referring to.

But the only way you'll know for sure is to try it. The 60-day free trial is absolutely the full version of the program. The only limit is that it times out after 60 days. If you decide to buy it, you don't even have to uninstall and reinstall; just enter the activation code and continue to work. Of course, without the basic knowledge of HTML and CSS, you won't be able to explore its features fully.

Alec Guiness walks into a cell phone store and picks up a smartphone. The salesman tells him, "This is not the Droid you are looking for."

Sunday, June 10, 2012 11:31 PM

That ign.com board uses XenForo software which is reviewed at the link I gave you earlier.
    Sunday, June 10, 2012 11:35 PM
  • Expression Web is not a drag-and-drop web builder (unlike Flavors, which was used to make that godawful Acesonnall site).  EW is a professional-level website design tool (similar in target-user and scope to Dreamweaver). Yes I know that, but thanks for the reminder. I also didn't ask for your opinion on that site as I didn't spend nearly 5 minutes on it. I only created it as a test to show you guys what I meant. I've created websites before so I'm not completely knew to this. I'm simply asking for a clarification because this is supposed to be the place to do so.

You'll have to learn HTML, CSS, and whatever other language is used by the features you want to add to the site (i.e.: PHP or ASP.NET for the forum software (nobody builds their own forum software--just consider the security aspects that you'll have to account for)). I know HTML/XHTML, CSS, and JAVAScript.

Add sub pages? Sure, that's as basic to web design as adding a page is to Word or Publisher. EW goes far, far beyond that. You have your choice of either DWTs or aspx Master Pages to control the common-content. Yea, I suspected that. Thanks.

Social feed like on Acesonnall? I didn't see one there, so I have no idea what you're referring to. The feed on the flavors.me site. You had to click the icons on the site. What I'm really asking is if there is a way to feed social content like facebook or twitter updates onto my site. If that's not directly don't with MS Expression Web, is there another site you can link me to that shows me how I can do that?

But the only way you'll know for sure is to try it. The 60-day free trial is absolutely the full version of the program. The only limit is that it times out after 60 days. If you decide to buy it, you don't even have to uninstall and reinstall; just enter the activation code and continue to work. Of course, without the basic knowledge of HTML and CSS, you won't be able to explore its features fully. I'll do that. Thanks

Alec Guiness walks into a cell phone store and picks up a smartphone. The salesman tells him, "This is not the Droid you are looking for."

Sunday, June 10, 2012 11:50 PM

That ign.com board uses XenForo software which is reviewed at the link I gave you earlier.
    Thanks
    Sunday, June 10, 2012 11:51 PM
  • You will learn far more about EW's suitability to your purposes by downloading and installing the trial (which is the full version, but with a time limit) than you will asking around. You've got two full months to investigate the program, which should be plenty of time.

Oh, and before you start, be sure that you read the Prerequisites for Using Microsoft Expression Web. Note that "prerequisites" means "requirements," not "suggestions." EW is not FrontPage, not even close. Just so you know... ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Sorry, my comment was mostly directed at the code that generates that site. It violates so many rules just to make it easy for drag-and-drop. Absolute positioning, negative margins, etc. It seemed from your question that you were citing it as something you wanted to emulate, and I addressed that.

On the other hand, those cloudfonts are awkward and almost unreadable. It looks like the Web circa 1994. Even the fonts from Google's similar service I find to be not very professional looking. I guess that's part of the Flavors package, but when you get to using EW, I'd recommend against those types of fonts. They can also slow down browsing, since the user's computer has to download them first before the page loads.

Monday, June 11, 2012 12:19 AM
  • On the other hand, those cloudfonts are awkward and almost unreadable. It looks like the Web circa 1994.

Heh, heh... I was going to say "GeoCities 1996" meets Peter Max myself... ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, June 11, 2012 12:54 AM
  • "What I'm really asking is if there is a way to feed social content like facebook or twitter updates onto my site. If that's not directly don't with MS Expression Web, is there another site you can link me to that shows me how I can do that?"

We've already said what EW does.  It's up to you to research what you need to know about doing anything more than that, which may include going to the proper forums/support areas, such as for facebook or twitter. 

Monday, June 11, 2012 1:32 AM
  • I know HTML/XHTML, CSS, and JAVAScript.

Great! If that is the case then you have all the tools you need to use EW effectively. EW is simply a professional level tool for creating and editing those languages, just like Dreamweaver, which is its only competition. It does not have built-in facilities for creating any of the other stuff you have asked about. It is up to you to research those specific areas, download and try out EW, and determine for yourself if your current skills, along with EW's tools, are sufficient to do what you want to do. No one here can make that determination for you.

cheers,
    scott

Monday, June 11, 2012 2:46 AM
  • "What I'm really asking is if there is a way to feed social content like facebook or twitter updates onto my site. If that's not directly don't with MS Expression Web, is there another site you can link me to that shows me how I can do that?"

We've already said what EW does.  It's up to you to research what you need to know about doing anything more than that, which may include going to the proper forums/support areas, such as for facebook or twitter. 

The XenForo board's claim to fame is it's great social content connectivity right out of the box. It may be the way to go for the OP. 

Monday, June 11, 2012 2:47 AM