SQL Native Client, OLEDB Depreciation? And Recommendation to use ODBC? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft,

In late 2011, Microsoft made an announcement that it is trying to align ODBC for non-relational data access on a blog post here. Later in early 2013 some ODBC drivers were introduced too as per this blog post here.

However, there seems to be no other communication about SQL Server Native Client  or Microsoft SQL Server OLE DB drivers retiring is found apart from those two blog posts above. All MSDN , Technet and SQL Server Books online have no mention of OLEDB or Native client retiring, discontinuing  or even being as depreciated feature. And here is link that points to Microsoft SQL Server official pages, with no mention of intention to depreciate OLEDB or Native Client.

Being data developer, We use SQL Server & SSIS a lot and it keeps me puzzled, Shall I continue to use SQL OLEDB or Shall I move to ODBC? In the meanwhile, it is evident Microsoft is reluctant fix many performance/other issues with ODBC, these issues can be tracked on Microsoft Connect 1  2 .

Now my question is:

• What is the guideline (ODBC vs OLEDB or SQL Native Client) going forward to Data Developers?, please make it official and state more clearly.
    • Is it true that OLEDB or SQL Native Client are being depreciated? If so from which edition of SQL Server?
    • If so when is end of life for OLEDB or SQL Native Client? It is true Microsoft has already stopped releasing updates for these?

Please, please please respond, I tried Bing and Google they are not answering as well L

Friday, January 29, 2016 12:56 AM

Answers

All replies

• Nice point. I would like to know this too.
    Friday, January 29, 2016 6:43 AM
  • Hello,

We do have an article at MSDN how about the way for SqlOleDb and other DAC: Data Access Technologies Road Map and under Deprecated MDAC/WDAC Components it's mentioned that SQLOleDB is deprecated.

But as usually it will take several year until SQLOleDB isn't any longer available. Of course moving to ODBC is the more safe way, and if you are a .NET programmer: ADO.NET / Native Client are not deprecated.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, January 29, 2016 7:15 AM

IMHO
    What is the guideline (ODBC vs OLEDB or SQL Native Client) going forward to Data Developers?, please make it official and state more clearly.
    - Use SQL Native Client as long as you are using Visual Studio C# or VB.NET.
    •Is it true that OLEDB or SQL Native Client are being depreciated? If so from which edition of SQL Server?
    - No as I know of frankly. We are using System.Data.Sqlclient still so far so good for SQL Server 2014 and below.
    •If so when is end of life for OLEDB or SQL Native Client? It is true Microsoft has already stopped releasing updates for these?
    System.Data is .NET Framework in anycase I believe it will be replaced.

Chanmm

• Edited by chanmmMVP Friday, January 29, 2016 8:37 AM missing data
    Friday, January 29, 2016 8:32 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

Native client has not been updated since SQL Server 2012 from what I am seeing. The 2012 release was included in the SQL Server 2016 feature pack and is altogether omitted from the SQL Server 2017 feature pack so this advice does not seem to be consistent with what we are seeing in the releases.

Thursday, August 2, 2018 2:57 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

Native client has not been updated since SQL Server 2012 from what I am seeing. The 2012 release was included in the SQL Server 2016 feature pack and is altogether omitted from the SQL Server 2017 feature pack so this advice does not seem to be consistent with what we are seeing in the releases.

Now we have a new OLEDB connector released which includes enhanced features like TLS 1.2 support and its backward compatible until SQL 2012 version

see

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlnativeclient/2018/03/30/released-microsoft-ole-db-driver-for-sql-server/

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Thursday, August 2, 2018 5:46 AM