none
Outlook addin causing major performance drop in 2013 RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have an add in running in outlook 2010 for over a year now without any problem.

    When we use that same add in in 2013 it works as well only now it seems to cause  enormous performance issues,

    meaning every task you do seems to take 1-2 seconds to complete.

    Any idea what might cause this.

    The add in is basically nothing more then a custom panel with a treeview that copies mails to sharepoint if they are dropped on a treeview node

    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:40 AM

Answers

  • Try to comment all the code. Then you can start uncommenting it in the line-by-line manner. Thus, you will be able to find the cause of the issue.
    • Marked as answer by Rbie Monday, December 1, 2014 1:49 PM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 12:17 PM

All replies

  • Did you try to debug the add-in?

    Note, you can add the log statements for recording how much time each operation takes time.

    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 8:58 AM
  • Ofc I did :-),

    After the initial load of the add in (which populates the treeview, takes 0.19 secs) the program doesn't do anything until you drag an email onto a treeview node.

    Hence I don't see why outlook would slow down everything as long as I don't drag something.


    • Edited by Rbie Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:25 AM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:22 AM
  • Rbie,

    Do you release underlying COM objects instantly in the code?

    Use System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject to release an Outlook object when you have finished using it. Then set a variable to Nothing in Visual Basic (null in C#) to release the reference to the object. You can read more about this in the Systematically Releasing Objects article.

    BTW Are you able to reproduce the issue without your add-in installed?

    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 9:36 AM
  • Thanks Eugene for your help so far.

    Yes I release objects the way you subscribe.

    But at the start I don't use any outlook objects. I just read an xml file to fill a dataset (2 tables, small < 20 records) and use that dataset to fill the treeview. That is it. Yet it is definitely my add in that is causing the slowing down of outlook because as soon as I disable my add in everything is back to normal. The slowing down is instantly back as soon as I load my add in again.

    Rbie

    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 10:58 AM
  • Try to comment all the code. Then you can start uncommenting it in the line-by-line manner. Thus, you will be able to find the cause of the issue.
    • Marked as answer by Rbie Monday, December 1, 2014 1:49 PM
    Tuesday, October 7, 2014 12:17 PM