none
WDK Guardrail Analysis test RRS feed

• Question

• Yes, this test is not there when I apply the "Compatibility Playlist version 1.6" to my device original test list. But, still want to know more about this.

For the test “WDK Guardrail Analysis”, from the limited description of the test that I have from the HLK Studio Help, “This test performs the WDK Universal Driver guardrail API analysis on the driver packages”. Does this mean that this test is ONLY applicable when the driver is built as the new “Universal Driver”? My driver is built as KMDF kernel driver with WDK 7.1, hence this specific test is not applied for my driver. Is this correct?

Also, other than the HLK Studio Help on the test, anyone knows where I can get a more in depth information for this test?

thanks,

Kiet

KAL

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 3:26 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the feedback Kiet!  We’ll work on improving the documentation for the next release.

To answer your questions (and some potential follow-ups);

1. You can certainly run the test against any driver, there is no compile time mechanism to mark a binary as “Universal”
    2. This means the HLK would not have any means to filter out this test from its target selection mechanics.
    3. Failing or not running the test does not block any submissions / signing paths for the driver. 
    4. It is a Discretional test provided to help driver developers understand if their drivers are, or could be, Windows Universal compliant.
    5. The test runs the exact same validation engine as the API Validator tool shipped in the WDK.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks again!

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 5:09 PM
  • Hey Patrick:

Thanks for your response. From your answer, I think it pretty much answer my initial questions. That is one should only expect this test will pass ONLY for driver that is compatible with Universal driver model. It is likely that a standard KMDF 1.9 (i.e. build with WDK 7.1) will not be compatible with Universal Driver model and will fail the test. That is the confirmation that I was looking for when I asked the question.

Here are some follows up questions:

1/ It seems that "Universal driver" is new and is for only Windows 10. Should one consider to convert standard KMDF 1.9 (built with WDK 7.1) to Universal driver? If so, why? Else not, why?

Again, the reason that we continue to build our driver with WDK 7.1 and KMDF lib 1.9, is to ensure that we have single driver binary run on all Windows OS version from XP sp3 to Windows 10, and on.

2/ Is Universal driver compatible with older OS like XP sp3? or is it only compatible for Windows 10?

thanks

KAL

Monday, September 14, 2015 3:47 PM