How to create a slide show application to display information form different types of file? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to write a slide show application to display a range of various data and information slides form a different sources. This is not ONLY going to be a slide show of photos but a slide could displays first page of a word file or PDF file, photos, body of an email file (.msg file) etc. So, for example, say there will be a different types of file in a folder and the application needs to go through each and every file in this folder and present it in a slide and depending on which type of file it is, it displays the information accordingly. So if it is an image file then show an image, if it is a word file and show the contents of the first page of the doc file in the slide, if it is an email message file (.msg file) then show the body of an email in the slide and so on. I would like to make this application using C# language but wouldn't mind using any other language or platform.

I am not entirely sure how should I achieve this? I am thinking to create a windows or WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation) app. Should I convert non-image sources to image and then just display slide show of images? OR just read file one by one, and show the contents depending on the file type? As it is going to be a slide show application, I don't which control I would use to display contents from these different types of file?

Thanks Hitesh

Friday, September 16, 2011 1:53 AM