Profiling Node.js from visual studio RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to follow the profiling example here, but when I run "Launch node.js Profiling..." it always reports "0 total samples collected".  If I click on "show all code" it does show lots of samples but the function names are all unknown.  Perhaps there is some issue with symbol resolution going on??

I do see a .etl, .etl.tmp and .vspx file created each time, so it is definitely doing something.

I can run node profiling use --prof and --prof-process on node.exe in a cmd window and get a txt file of the profiling.  I just can't make it work inside VS. Any thoughts?

Jim

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim,

I get the same result based on the example in my Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 with Node.js Tools 1.2. And I also check the Node.js Tools 1.1 version and Tools for Visual Studio 2013. Both of them has the same issue.

Since the Node.js profile tool is related to Node.js Tools for Visual Studio. I have submit this issue to Node.js tool for this issue. Please add your comments and following this feedback to confirm whether there has any problem on this tool.

https://github.com/Microsoft/nodejstools/issues/1458

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Jim,

I get the same result based on the example in my Visual Studio 2015 Update 3 with Node.js Tools 1.2. And I also check the Node.js Tools 1.1 version and Tools for Visual Studio 2013. Both of them has the same issue.

Since the Node.js profile tool is related to Node.js Tools for Visual Studio. I have submit this issue to Node.js tool for this issue. Please add your comments and following this feedback to confirm whether there has any problem on this tool.

https://github.com/Microsoft/nodejstools/issues/1458

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:33 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

It looks like the feature is broken based on your feedback.  I also tried Microsoft.NodejsTools.NodeLogConverter.exe on the V8.log file and again found that symbols were not resolved correctly.  Using this command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Node.js Tools for Visual Studio - Profiling\1.3\Microsoft.NodejsTools.NodeLogConverter.exe" isolate-000002019BC6B830-v8.log out.vspx 0 20:30

I produced an out.vspx, which I subsequently opened in VS.  That file showed functions on the Hot Path, but the functions were named oddly, like .214 or .1049.  If I click on one of the functions ( say .1049) it says the matching source file could not be found, and if I click on Browse to Find Source it appears to be looking for a weird file named ku35vhel.0.cs, which of course does not exist.

I'm using version 1.3.41102.1 of Microsoft.NodejsTools.NodeLogConverter.

Jim

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 10:25 PM