none
Database connection Architecture RRS feed

• Question

•  

I'm creating an Accounting system in ASP.Net to work in web. Which connection architecture is better for this? Connected or Disconnected? Or Is there any other method?

Sometime I have retrieve and update data frequently, sometime no such frequent updates. 

Pls suggest a better way.

Attn: Mr. Ahmed Ilyas

Application Deatils:

A full fledged Accountig and inventory software like tally. But it is designed to host in a web server to access through internet. Each user would have an account with uid and password.  Transactions like ledger entry, bank receipt, bank payment, cash receipt, cash payment are to be done freaquently. Some master table entries are rarely happening transactions.

Some users would log in and then do nothing for a long time(user may have to do some manual work). in this case how we can maintain log in state. which is better user allow to login again or keep loged in status till access the web next time.

Please help

I did't get requied answer for a datawindow related issue in this category, could you please help

Saturday, September 22, 2007 10:13 AM

Answers

• I would suggest using disconnected environment for several reasons. Requests in ASP.NET are not connected by nature and when request finishes its job, and application leaves connection to the database open, it could lead to the database connection leaking. Best strategy is to open connection, get or update data and close connection. With the connection pooling enabled in your application, this strategy should work fast with frequently opened connections.

Monday, September 24, 2007 10:36 AM

All replies

• Well it depends entirely on your application needs and usage.

I would suggest to only connect to the database, as normal, only when you need to and perform the updates/inserts/deletes etc....

Can you give us a little bit more info about the application and it's requirements?

Sunday, September 23, 2007 10:13 AM
  • I would suggest using disconnected environment for several reasons. Requests in ASP.NET are not connected by nature and when request finishes its job, and application leaves connection to the database open, it could lead to the database connection leaking. Best strategy is to open connection, get or update data and close connection. With the connection pooling enabled in your application, this strategy should work fast with frequently opened connections.

Monday, September 24, 2007 10:36 AM