none
Azure Premium Storage Pricing

Question

• Hi,

I understand that the standard storage for Azure is charged based on how much you use. So you can have a 1TB disk but only charged for the amount used.

I am trying to find out the same informationfor premium SSD storage. I found one post that indicated it used the same model where you paid for what you used.

But this does sound right. The reason I say this is the different size disks 128, 256, 1024gig have significantly different IOP performance which is in line with the costs i.e. the 1024gig has much higher IOPS but you pay much more.

Let's say i only need to store 100gig. Why wouldn't you just use the 1024gig (5000 IOPS) disks for storage. The IOPS is 10 times that of the 128gig disk.

Hope this makes sense.

Simon.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 7:24 AM

Answers

• You are correct, model isn't same for standard and Premium storage.

For standard storage you are charged only for space used and if you have 1TB disk with 100GB data on it, you will be charged only for 100GB per month.

On Premium storage, if you create P30(1024GB) for example, you will be charged $135,17 per month, it doesn't metter if you have 1 byte on it or 1000GB. Premium storage is fixed price on size of storage (P10,P20,P30) and not on size of used storage like standard.

Mustafa Toroman, Azure MVP

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 8:28 AM
  • Hi Simon,

I'm not sure where you have seen the post but it's wrong information. Premium storage is charged as per disk size, there is nothing to do with how much you store on the disk, as you have 100 GB of data go for P10 where you get 128 GB.

Regards,

Mahendranath Miryala

Mahendranath Miryala

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 9:00 AM

All replies

• You are correct, model isn't same for standard and Premium storage.

For standard storage you are charged only for space used and if you have 1TB disk with 100GB data on it, you will be charged only for 100GB per month.

On Premium storage, if you create P30(1024GB) for example, you will be charged $135,17 per month, it doesn't metter if you have 1 byte on it or 1000GB. Premium storage is fixed price on size of storage (P10,P20,P30) and not on size of used storage like standard.

Mustafa Toroman, Azure MVP

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 8:28 AM
  • Hi Simon,

I'm not sure where you have seen the post but it's wrong information. Premium storage is charged as per disk size, there is nothing to do with how much you store on the disk, as you have 100 GB of data go for P10 where you get 128 GB.

Regards,

Mahendranath Miryala

Mahendranath Miryala

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 9:00 AM
  • Hi Simon,

Regards,

Mahendranath Miryala

Mahendranath Miryala

This is going a little off topic but if I required faster disk access e.g. if i was using SQL Server with a lot of data, would i be better still paying extra and say going for P20. I know it's more expensive but the IOPS are almost 5x.
    Tuesday, May 3, 2016 9:13 AM
  • Yes, I would recommend it, if your SQL server has high I/O.

Regards,

Mahendranath Miryala

Please mark it has answered if you feel this answer is helpful.

Mahendranath Miryala

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 11:24 AM