Convert to MySQL? RRS feed

• Question

• User400974635 posted

My host company only provides MySQL and ASP .NET 2.0.

Have anyone converted from MS SQL to MySQL?

I should be happy if someone knew how to do... [:)]

Cause I can't get it to work...

//David

Friday, May 26, 2006 4:35 PM

All replies

• User1275632693 posted

Hi David,

We have had that debate here in the past, there are several threads that cover the MSSQL vs MYSQL in ASP.NET topic.

At this point in Time I have not seen anyone that claimed to convert the Club Starter Kit to MYSQL although I have seen several threads here and on other forums that discuss sql wrappers that make it almost transparent as to which DB back end you are using.

Of course I doubt the built in providers would work though.

Friday, May 26, 2006 5:33 PM
  • User-1346905220 posted

David-

I asked about this a while back but found a host that has MS SQL at a price I could afford. If you want to use MySQL, here are a few things to keep in mind. You'll need to use MySQL 5 as it has support for stored routines (i.e. stored procedures). You may have to tweek the sql script that creates the database in order to get it to work with MySQL.

There is an article on the Code Project web site, http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/MySQLMembershipProvider.asp, that has the code for a MySQL Membership provider. Not sure if all of the features are supported. You can now also download the source from Microsoft for the providers for ASP.Net 2.0 if you really want to "get your hands dirty."

Hope this helps.

-Mike

Saturday, May 27, 2006 1:33 PM
  • User-73676471 posted

I have the club starter kit running with a mysql database. (www.mantaclub.be)

I'm not using the photoalbum and the events, but this could have easilly been transformed also. You don't need the stored procedures. My site is running on an older version of mysql (4.0.26)

Some more details on what you need are here: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1270361.aspx

Bassically you need to write your own providers for mysql and make you own code behind database helper classes that do the mysql calls.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:10 AM
  • User400974635 posted

lucifer -

Nice site you have there. And you have made a forum too. Cool. Exactly how I wanted my site to look like.

I'll coming down to Belgium and copy that.  ;-)

//David

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 6:56 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

Hey there Lucifer,

Everytime I type that I can't help but think of the good old Rolling Stones.

I visited your site using IE and it looked great, I know the newer version of MYSql supports stored procedures or something akin to one, so it may well be worth it but I wonder why go asp.net with my sql instead of the traditional PHP or JSP's.

Was a specific choice you made or more of a daredevil "I can do this" kind of thing.

For me it would be driven towards savings generated on a DB backend, albeit that discussion happened in the other thread and some folks felt that MSSQL is unjustly represented as being more expensive than MYSql.

Either way great job.

Oh thier is one thing, why not Use PHPBB as a forum if you are using MYSql.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:18 AM
  • User-73676471 posted

hehe, I like that song :-)

I know the latest version of mysql has al these nice improved features, unfortunatly numerous emails to my provider to switch to 5.0 didn't help much, so at the moment i'm kinda stuck with the older version.

One of the reasons I used mysql, was that all other database technologies are to be paid extra with my provider, but they are the cheapest for hosting here in Belgium. Plus, I must admit that I like programming in ASP.NET. Some will feel the need to respond to this, I'm sure, but hey, everyone his own choice. Every technology has their pro's and con's. I just happen to like .NET :-)

I also wanted to have a forum I could really integrate into the site, so I quickly mocked up my own. It's not that much work really. Agreed, it doesn't have all the fancy features, but I really don't need al that. It suffices more than enough if people can just throw some message onto the site and others can reply to that. It's also not 100% finnished. I still need to do some url recognition and stuff, so textual urls are transformed into actual links and so on. But that's if I can find the time to do all that.

I also still need to implement some administrator pages, where I can control users and emails and stuff.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:03 AM
  • User1275632693 posted

So true isn't it, the world of  IT has not yet gone the way of Henry Ford and his "You can have any color you want as long as it is Black" !  :)

As for the forum yes it is fairly simple to create a basic forum, and I too decided to stay away from the all inclusive forums out there. Those tend to be a site in of themselves and then you have to wrap your site around the forum as opposed to the other way around.

Well good luck to you and continued success, those cars on your site really make me miss my Alfa Romeo that is sitting back home Canada.

Hey I hope you are going to be following the world cup over there and celebrating with much gusto as Italy goes on and wins the whole thing.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:29 AM
  • User400974635 posted

I've been looking for a lover in a world that's much to dark... No.. JK ...But I've been looking for a free forum written in ASP .NET 2.0 and MySQL. But I couldn't.

And BTW.. Didn't U guys know that Sweden will win World Cup...;-).... 

/David

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 2:06 PM