none
How to get PowerPoint to reflow text on startup? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm writing powerpoint files with the Open XML SDK, and I need to get PowerPoint to reflow text on startup. I'm setting PP's GUI options for "Shrink text on overflow" and "Wrap text in shape" in my generated pptx xml, but PowerPoint doesn't reflow the text until I edit the file. Embedding VB probably isn't an option.

Thursday, January 7, 2016 11:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Howard Rubin,

I am trying to reproduce this issue in PowerPoint 2010, 2013, however failed.

Here is my test steps:

1. Create a presentation

2. Create two slides

3. Create a shape on first slide and type some text

4. Copy the shape from the first slide to second slide and set the "Shrink text on overflow" and "Wrap text in shape" option.

5. Save the presentation and rename it with zip file extension

6. modify XML corresponding to the shape on the first the slide to simulate setting the "Shrink text on overflow" and "Wrap text in shape"(by default) option with code below:

<a:bodyPr wrap="square" rtlCol="0" anchor="ctr" xmlns:a="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/drawingml/2006/main">
      <a:normAutofit fontScale="70000" lnSpcReduction="20000" />
    </a:bodyPr>

After I open the presentation in PowerPoint 2010 or PowerPoint 2013, the shape on the first side display well as the shape on the second shape.

What's version of PowerPoint are you using? Would you minding sharing the detail steps to help us to reproduce this issue.

Regards &Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 2:59 AM
  • I'm using Powerpoint 2016. Since I'm writing the pptx with the Open XML SDK, the detail steps are way too involved. I suspect that manually reducing the  a:normAutofit fontScale should duplicate what I'm seeing, or I can send a sample pptx.

Friday, January 15, 2016 4:10 PM
  • Hi Howard,

I am try to reproduce this issue in PowerPoint 2016 by modifying the fontScale manually, however it worked for me well.

When I open the presentation after I modified the fontScale, it reflect immediately without editing the file again. Please ensure that the value you were modifying for fontScale is correct. If yes, I suggest that you try to repair the PowerPoint application to see whether it is helpful.

If not, you may need to provide more detail to help us to understand this issue.

Hope it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, January 18, 2016 7:50 AM
  • Sounds like you need a sample Powerpoint presentation that demonstrates the issue. I don't see a way to attach a file here, so let me know how you'd like to proceed.

H.

Monday, January 18, 2016 5:51 PM
  • Hi Howard,

You can upload and share the demo presentation file through OneDrive, then paste the link here.

Note: Please remove the sensitive data before you uploading the file.

Regards & Fei

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:44 AM
  • Here's a file that changes the text sizes on your first edit in Powerpoint

Sample file

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:47 PM
  • Hi Howard,

Thanks for the sample presentation, however I am still not able to reproduce this issue. The shapes in the presentation displayed well when it was opened first time. Here is the figure for your reference:

It event displayed well when I open it in PowerPoint online. And then I modify the fontScale like below:

<a:normAutofit fontScale="91252" lnSpcReduction="10000" />

to:
    <a:normAutofit fontScale="9125" lnSpcReduction="10000" />

<a:normAutofit fontScale="64868" lnSpcReduction="10000" />
    to

<a:normAutofit fontScale="6486" lnSpcReduction="10000" />

The presentation also display as the fontScale modified when it was open the first time like figure below:

I suggest that you try to repair or re-install the PowerPoint application to see whether it is helpful. And if I misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.

Regards & Fei

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 7:47 AM
  • Sorry about that. Please try this one, and edit it in Powerpoint (not online)

Howard Rubin

• Edited by Howard Rubin Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:06 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:04 PM
  • Hi Howard,

Sorry for the confusion, I was editing in the PowerPoint client.

And the file was display like figure below:

Regards & Fei

Thursday, January 21, 2016 2:23 AM
  • Here's what I see:

Howard R

Thursday, January 21, 2016 3:42 PM
  • Hi Howard R,

Thanks for the detail explanation. I download the presentation fie again and I was able to reproduce this issue in PowerPoint 2016 too.

It seems that the shape render engine of  PowerPoint 2016 is different with PowerPoint 2013. To fix this issue, I suggest that you submit the feedback for the PowerPoint from link below:

Welcome to PowerPoint's Suggestion Box!

Regards & Fei

Monday, January 25, 2016 7:39 AM