• Question

• I have try to shutdown it with clicking the shutdown button 
    and try to shutdown it with via ssh  with these command shutdown -s -t 0

but my rapsberry still not shutdown properly
    it's green led stil blinking 
    and the monitor not powering off it still active but the screen is black

when I use rapsbian after the shutdown
    only red led that remain on and the monitor powering off itself

is that normal? or it's going to make my sd card damaged?

my device
    Rapsberry pi 2 type B 1GB ram
    Wednesday, September 9, 2015 5:45 AM

All replies

• Dear TemplarAssassin,

My Raspi PI 2 with Windows 10 IoT Core works the same as you describe above.
    The Green LED is still blinking after OS shutdown.

Keep Fighting

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 6:56 AM
  • Hi,

a while ago, there was a bug or a *missing feature* that you cannot shutdown the RP completly with Windows IoT.

I think,at the moment, the only way to shutdown a RP with Windows 10 IoT is to unplug the power cord. 

Nevertheless, the power consumption allows to run it in 24/7.

Related to your question: Why should the monitor power off? The monitor loses it's signal and after a while, the monitor will go into hibernate mode, ain't it?

Kind regards, Toby

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 7:10 AM
  • https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/611eb2b7-7e61-45d4-9a7c-2323770e16fc/raspberry-pi-windows-iot-reboot-instead-of-shutdown?forum=WindowsIoT

Looks like the fix mentioned in the above was to close Windows itself but not fully complete the Bios shutdown (in this release anyway).

If you watch the Ethernet port on the switch/hub the Pi is connected to, you can see the physical connection led goes off some seconds after the shutdown command is issued.

At that time I believe that there are no SD-Card operations going on so it should be OK to remove the power cord.

But then again, I'm not from Microsoft!

Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:40 AM
  • We have reopened an investigation to look into fixing shutdown on Raspberry Pi. 

And at the risk of sounding defensive ...

Our Windows IoT development team built a Windows BSP for Raspberry Pi pretty much from scratch a couple of years ago. It was the first device we supported with Windows IoT Core. We took some shortcuts, particularly in areas where we couldn't find documentation or something just didn't work. We do not completely shutdown the Raspberry Pi device as each of you reported. We had trouble accessing the power rail firmware and settled on putting the device in a sleep state. 

With our work on subsequent BSPs (I wish that hardware companies would build BSPs for their boards instead of relying on our smallish team - but if wishes were horses ...) we have learned quite a bit about SoC power and uboot and based on your feedback will revisit this issue. 

Thanks for your feedback and support! 

Mike

Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:19 PM
  • Is there an update on this investigation? I just started coding for the RP3 and found this issue recently.
    Tuesday, August 22, 2017 9:09 AM
  • Oh, please, if MS is working on an updated Windows BSP for Raspberry Pi, please, please, add hardware graphics acceleration, audio through HDMI (and possibly OpenGL) so that RPi can become a useful platform in making it stream and play A/V, and do things like video face recognition for app security without having to resort to using Raspian.

Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:02 AM
  • it's small. And well frankly a PORTABLE device. So I unplug it.. ALOT. Several times now, the boot got corrupted, unplugging it just seems wrong.
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:28 PM