Oracle Performance Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am using Excel as an interface for an Oracle 10g client database (because I only need a summary of the data). The Excel work book is some sort of evaluation model that produces some massive amount of numbers which will be transferred to the database at each run. I want to ask what is the most efficient connection method to dump such data into oracle?

I ask because I used to have MS Access as the database. After switching to Oracle, it takes more than 4 times as it needs for Access. So I have tried different connection strings, which shown some improvement but still more than 3 times slower.  I have tried: OraOLEdb.oracle, OracleInProcServer.XOraSession and direct OCBC for Oracle. Any idea to improve the performance?

PS. I have already used a very long SQL each time so to minimize the times of the loop.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 4:06 PM

Answers

All replies

• Switch to SQL Server.

Just kidding

This is a forum for SQL Server Data Access though - I'm afraid you won't find much Oracle help here.  You can try the Oracle forums:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/rdb/tech_forums/index.html

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:14 PM
  • Oh, I thought its the same thing......please pardon my ignorance. Since Oracle is communicating through SQL or PL/SQL so I thought SQL server is a bigger imaginery set containing Oracle.

By the way, that Oracle Tech forums you pointed out was a presentation/workshop event taking place in different countries. So I dont think its worth while travelling to Syndey (I am in London) to just raise this question...  But thanks for your advise though. Anyone have an idea where I can ask for help?

Thanks

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:07 AM

• Hi
    The correct URL for the oracle forums where you can raise your questions

http://forums.oracle.com/forums
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 11:41 AM